• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DIY tube doors

flexdout

NAXJA Forum User
Ive been looking for tube doors for some time now. I stumbled across a website (jeeptubesdotcom) that sells pre-bent tube kits for various build stuff. They had a set of doors for Wranglers and I was intrigued. I called them up and told the guy what I wanted to do so he sent me a set with a little extra length on all the tubes. I got them and was suprised at how easy it was to adapt them to the XJ.
Heres a few shots of the setup...
the kit
HPIM1478.jpg

started tacking
HPIM1479.jpg

figured how I was going to hang them
HPIM1481.jpg

the latch I chose
HPIM1480.jpg

welded up and hung
HPIM1484.jpg

how they look on the Jeep
HPIM1495.jpg

decided to make a skin for them
HPIM1500.jpg

old school stitching
HPIM1502.jpg

finished product
HPIM1504.jpg

It took about 2 hours to fit and set the 1st door cause I had to do alot of measuring. And I wasnt sure how I was going to hinge/hang the actual door. Once I got past that it went fast. $65 plus shipping for the tube kit. $20 worth of material to cover them and about $10 of hitch pins and latches to hang the door and walla!

Last edited:
Ya I know I didnt have any black in the shop. Only white and this hideaous baby blue from an old boat top job. I have to order more black and Ill change it out. Honestly the white is growing on me, I like the "sticks out like a sore thumb" effect it has.

Cool, I emailed him about making them for an XJ about a year ago and just never followed through and ordered the kit. How much was shipping?

What size tube? I take it they didnt come notched.

Good job. I like the looks,...

but I think you should have used the hideous blue cord.

looks good, i like your hinges! wish i would have done mine like that, but i hung them on tuesday. the skin is a great idea, im jellous, but then again my tube doors only cost me 68 cents!

Ok let me see if I can answer all the questions.
Trust me the blue cord looks worse then the white. They didnt come notched I have the Harbour Freight drill press attachment notcher which worked pretty good. The tube is 1.25". They dont have back doors so Im going to have to make my own I just dont have a good bender. Shipping was $23 which wasnt bad for 25lbs from WA to FL. The vertical tube that the hinges are welded to is not part of the kit. That was the hard part for me, figuring out how I was going to hang them without using a set of stock hinges. I didnt want to put any flat/angled steel on the door. I wanted to keep it all tube. Im gonna try and make rears with the HF bender I have but I dont know if thats going to be a good enough bender for the job.

looks good,

I have been looking for some tube doors that I like, and those aren't to bad, and the price is right. If I can't get ahold David at Teratraction to bend me up some I may have to hit you up on the measurements.

for searchers- a .25" (quarter inch) bolt fits and works perfectly as a hinge pin.

Let's see...Date on pics, lives in Florida, owns a boat, velcro shoes...I didn't know old guys had Jeeps that nice.:D Seriously, though, good looking truck and I agree with the white. It kind of grows on you. I probably would've just wrapped the doors in duct tape.

The pics of the "old guy" lacing up the cover is my buddy's dad. He is the 1 who owns the Canvas shop who did the door skins. I drove up on the Ranger at his house. He has about 5 boats and a 4 acres back yard with river access so all of us park our boats and extra vehicles there and just pay a storage fee to him (usually in beer). Works out nicely.

And the duct tape comment, I was seriously just gonna do it in zip ties but he wouldnt let me since I would be using his name if anyone asked who did them!

P1atinum said:
looks good,

I have been looking for some tube doors that I like, and those aren't to bad, and the price is right. If I can't get ahold David at Teratraction to bend me up some I may have to hit you up on the measurements.

Hey man I wouldnt mind giving you the measurements. I think Ricky expressed an interest also. I stuck to the orifinal pattern for the Wrangler kit just had to have them add a few inches to the ends where they attach to the hinges for the extra length of the XJ door.

Heres a shot of the original blueprint...
TubeDoorDrawing.jpg

You get enough length on everything that I moved the top section that connects the top hinge up and made the hinge attach area 15 3/4" from top to bottom. This allowed me a little more height and gave me plenty of room to hinge it however I wanted. I can take an actual pic and give you precise measurements if you like?

flexdout said:
You get enough length on everything that I moved the top section that connects the top hinge up and made the hinge attach area 15 3/4" from top to bottom. This allowed me a little more height and gave me plenty of room to hinge it however I wanted. I can take an actual pic and give you precise measurements if you like?

So you just ordered the regular kit from jeeptubes, or did you ask for extra length?

Back