• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welder for roll cage

2000Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to start buying some tools and stuff to keep around my house so i can work on my own junk. and since i will be starting my CJ project soon i am looking at getting a welder so i can do my own roll cage and such. but i am not sure what kind of welder to get. would like to keep it under 600 bux if possible

so i need a welder that will be good for welding tube and also sheet metal and shock tabs and such for a 4 link suspension.

im just not sure what kind of welder to get. i am going to be signing up for welding classes but i would like to pick up a welder and start practicing before i go to the class so i have an idea of what i am doing

would something like thi work?
http://cgi.ebay.com/HOBART-HANDLER-...QQihZ015QQcategoryZ113743QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I use one almost identical to that at the bodyshop I work at.
excellent welder for sheet metal and does thicker stuff too, for a all around welder that would be a good choice.
for cages you might want a bigger one, someone with more knowledge on cages will chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

get into the base 220 models and you would have about the same max current but the duty cycle would be higher.

get a 220v machine from the big 3 (miller, lincoln, hobart) if you can swing a little extra cash. the 110v units from those 3 are pretty good, and definitely enough for roll cages which are typically .120" thick, but for bumpers, links and other things that are often .250" you may find them lacking.

damn i was hoping that that one would work because it said that it could weld up to 1/4 steel in a single pass.. im not really sure how much more cash i will have to swing

BrettM said:
get a 220v machine from the big 3 (miller, lincoln, hobart) if you can swing a little extra cash. the 110v units from those 3 are pretty good, and definitely enough for roll cages which are typically .120" thick, but for bumpers, links and other things that are often .250" you may find them lacking.

X2
Don't skimp on a welder!!
The welder is also only part of the cost. You should keep in mind the bottle, gas, cart, leathers, hood, tips, wire, brushes, magnets, etc, etc, etc. It all add's up.
Michael

Def. go with a 220 unit. If you are taking classes it will not do you too much good to practice with a samller unit as the ones in the welding labs are big units. Look on cyberweld.com for good deals on welders.

one of my friends may teach me how to weld and watch me weld the cage and such so i may not take teh class.

as far as going with a 220 unit i will have to see if the parents have a problem with me running an outlet to the shed.

homo depot has the SP175 by lincoln for like 599$ that is a very good welder for what your discribing..

Back