• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubi Moab Wheels - Tire Pressure?

Shrubs

NAXJA Forum User
Hello NAXJA! Tried searching for this, but I'm not coming up with much beyond old sale items.

I have a set of rubi moab wheels, 16", with BFG ATKO's in the original rubi size (245/75R16). They look frickin sweet, as many of you already know. What are you using or would reccomend for tire pressure for this size on an XJ? I have offroad bumpers, a tire carrier, and full skids, if that matters.

I have been running them at around 35 psi, on road, which seems to give a bit of a harsh ride, but tire wear seems normal. I think the recommended PSI for unlimited TJs is something like 32psi, but I'm not sure how that compares to an X. What are you running yours at? How about fully loaded?

Thanks in advance!

Personally I run my tires on road around 29-32 PSI. If you look in your doorjamb it should tell you the PSI reccomendation for your vehicle.

As for searching, go to advance search so you can choose or eliminate the options you want. Then when you find a thread close to what you were searching for, look at at the bottom of the selected thread for the related searches or releated thread box. It usually helps a lot.

Get some chalk and spread it on your tread, roll forward or back, and see where it's rubbed off. On the outside, add air. On the inside, release air. You want it to be evenly worn off across the width of the tread. Then you're at a good air pressure.

I just picked up a set of Rubicon take-offs with the original spec MT/Rs, so I have the same question. Are yours load range D or E? The inflation tables I have looked at would indicate that my E load range MT/Rs only need 22 psi to support the same load as my door label, but that seems like it woiuld be outside the design parameters for the tire. I'm running 28 front and 26 rear right now (empty, no gear on board.) I've got a friend at work who has a Rubicon Unlimited. I'll have her get me the info off of her label and adjust from there based on vehicle weight differences (I assume the XJ is lighter, but I haven't looked up the specs.)

Dave41079 said:
Get some chalk and spread it on your tread, roll forward or back, and see where it's rubbed off. On the outside, add air. On the inside, release air. You want it to be evenly worn off across the width of the tread. Then you're at a good air pressure.

The chalk method is probably the best, but if the tire are load range E like mine (very stif tire,) it may be a little harder to see the difference when making adjustments. It's free to try, so there's nothing to lose :)

It looks like the curb weight on a TJ unlimited is about the same as a stock 4x4 XJ (approx 3730 for TJ and about 3400 for an XJ), so I'm guessing the tire pressure coming off the door jamb of the TJ unlimited Rubi would be close. Anyone know this? I've had a hard time finding it on the web, but I think it's about 28psi.

I think mine are load rated E, based on how stiff the sidewalls are, and how litle difference change in pressure made on the standard chalk test. We used to do chalk tests differently when road racing cars. I might try that, but it's raining today! We would run chalk across the tread and about an inch down the sidewalls and then run a hot laps. I don't know how well this will work on offroad tires, but I'm guessing it would be pretty close.

if you have access to an ir thermometer (or tire pyrometer...lol) measure temps along the tread (inner, center, outer) then adjust tire pressures until they are even across the tread. works like a high tech version of the chalk trick. I like his method better cause it tells how hard each area of the tire is working, not just if it's touching the ground .

Shrubs said:
It looks like the curb weight on a TJ unlimited is about the same as a stock 4x4 XJ (approx 3730 for TJ and about 3400 for an XJ)

Where did you get these numbers from. cars.com is showing a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon weighing in at 3,977lbs, and a 2001 4dr 4x4 Cherokee Sport weighing in at 3,360lbs. 617 pounds is a pretty significant difference. That's 18.4% of the weight of the XJ.

Not to hijack the thread, but:
Rubicons have load range E tires? WTF for? My friends F-350 has load range E tires.

tbburg said:
Not to hijack the thread, but:
Rubicons have load range E tires? WTF for? My friends F-350 has load range E tires.
The Rubicon TJs came with load range E MTRs. Guess that was the only rating for that size? Who knows.

I do 28-32 psi on mine. I personally cant tell a difference in ride quality either way.

I haven't got feedback from the Unlimited owner yet, maybe tomorrow. The guy I bought the wheels and tires from said the door placard on his Rubicon says 33F 33R.

From Motortrend.com
2003 Rubicon - gross vehicle weight rating (kg) 2,087, curb weight (kg) 1,686
1998 Cherokee - gross vehicle weight rating (kg) 2,064, curb weight (kg) 1,429

My door placard say GVWR=2223 kg

Looks like I'll bump the pressure up a few pounds and play with the chalk :)

Back