• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel Play

Euclid

NAXJA Forum User
My front passenger side wheel has a lot of play in it. When it's off the ground I can grab it and wobble it quite a bit. So much that the alignment place today refused to do an alignment.
The tech mentioned the wheel bearing.
Is this what I should look into? What all will I need?

Thanks!

the entire hub, it's one assembly, pain in the ass to get off if you live in a snowy/salty area (which tx may not be an issue).

Plenty of writeups on the subject:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/ -it's a bit down on the page.
I believe stu off road has a write up
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm

good luck, it's pretty straight forward, if you've got time, go to RockAuto.com, they've got two quality pieces for very reasonable prices. That is if you can handle waiting...

I replaced my wheel bearing assemblies a couple of months ago. No problem. The Dana 30 axle u-joints were the real bitch, well at least until I borrowed that u-joint press from the auto parts place.

If you are going to do the wheel bearings you should replace the axle u-joints while you are there, at least that is what I would do. When you take off the wheel bearing assembly the u-joint is just laying there begging to be replaced.

Oh get the timken(sp?) wheel bearings. They are $140 each I think.

but are the hubs on ebay factory rejects? Did they not make the quality cut so they were sold off by the pound?

Just wondering if anyone is willing to vouch for the quality of the ebay timkins

Suppose the "Ask The Seller" option could be used. I look for seller(s) with a high feedback. I have bought two hub units from two diff. sellers and had very good luck.
Most sellers(reputable) will go out of their way to make things right if there is a prob. They do not want "negative" or "neutral" feedback. I know I don't.

Back