• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Second Noob Run 2K6

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
As brought up during NWfest '06, a bunch of us talked about different subjects to bring this chapter together, and make it bigger. Another noobfest run is on its way. We had great success with the earlier one this year that IXNAYXJ(Matt) had planned out in Tahuya State Forest. Its time to bring forth another one.

A few questions.

-When would you like it to happen?
-Where would you like it it happen?
-How long would you like it to be?

My thoughts on the questions.

-Id like to see it happen before the winter season hits. Possibly late September? Maybe after it rains a bunch, so its a little more challenging.
-Im open to any place. Tahuya is a great place for a stock rig of almost any kind. Post up with any place that would suit a stock rig.
-I was thinking if we had it at a place where thier was camping, well, lets camp! A great way to get to know eachother and have a few beers.

Of any kind of off road vehicle, they should have the following:

Tow points front and rear. (hooks, hitch, winch, bumpers, strap, ect.)
First aid kit(can buy them almost anywhere)
Fire extinguisher(cheap at GI Joes, and should be had in any vehicle)
Just simple stuff like oils, a spare tire, ect...

This run is open to anyone who would like to join, XJ or not, red or black user.

Post up any ideas, and try to keep the thread on the subject. Thanks!

I actually would like to get my wife to do this run with you guys (not sure if she will let me in the pass seat though) ;)

I would prefer a day (but am open to camping if the weekend is open, we do ALOT of weekend camping).

I have never been to Tahula sp? another place might be either Walker Valley (Near Mount Vernon) and Reiter Pit (more diversity). I prefer Tahula because it is more central for everyone, Walker alot of people have talked about going to recently, reiter pit has lots of easy stuff and some more challenging stuff for a larger group.

I would prefer end up Sept till Mid Oct.

Michael

I'll go regardless of where it is.I agree Tahuya is good for stock to mildly modded rigs, plus the rock gardens while small can be fun. I would not have a problem putting my wife and 1 year old in for that. Reiter is good too, I think a bit of a step up from tahuya but would be fun for all. At his point Walker is extremly rutted out and torn up. While it is dry right now I think it might be a little much for a stock rig and some of the sections I think could be a little intimidating for someone with little to no trail experiance, there are also some trail closures on some of the main jeep trails due to logging and an almost certain amount of body damage to be had. just my .02
Ryan

We also talked about the ORV park west of Olympia on the way to Aberdeen/Hoquiam. What about that place?

Anyone have information? Fees, etc?

Sniggs said:
We also talked about the ORV park west of Olympia on the way to Aberdeen/Hoquiam. What about that place?

Anyone have information? Fees, etc?

You're thinking of Straddle Line, or what used to be Thurston County ORV.

Fun if you're on a dirt bike, nothing to do there in a Jeep.

J

i vote for something central... or do we do 2 runs 1 north, 1 south. (I am sure between all of us portland / vanc. people we could put together a 2nd run for the south. we could discuss it at the meet n greet) just a thought.

i vote for a multiple day event so folks with funky schedules can make at least 1 day of it.

My wife is interested in a noob run as well. As long as there are other wives/girlfriends driving too.

Of course for us timing is everything. Very end of Sept beginning of Oct. would work for us.

Hans

What about out near Snoqualmie Pass, Lake Kachees sp?, Cle Elum, area? I used to go out there many moons ago? Just other more central WA areas?
Is anyone familiar with anything in the Longview or Olympia area other than Thurston County ORV or Tahula?

Michael

I'm from the olympia area. All we have here that is legal is Rock Candy Mtn.
It's basically a huge mud run. I've seem 37" tires burried completely in the clay mud mess. If this is somthing someone likes it's fun, but not enough to make a big run out of.

Nothing else is legal to be in.

James.

Late September or October is perfect. Before the rain starts and well after I'm back and settled in.

-Jay

XJLaredo said:
I'm from the olympia area. All we have here that is legal is Rock Candy Mtn.
It's basically a huge mud run. I've seem 37" tires burried completely in the clay mud mess. If this is somthing someone likes it's fun, but not enough to make a big run out of.

Nothing else is legal to be in.

James.

There's NO LEGAL wheeling in Capitol forest. Dunno if the area you are talking about is in the forest, but I'm thinking so.

J

I would like to see it somewhere central as well. That way some of us Portland / Vancouver people can make it without a 3+ hour drive. I remember seeing the trip report from the last one and Tahuya looked like a nice place to experiment and get some seat time. Where ever it is held I plan on being there. Is this going to be an official run following the bylaws?

TORX

2xtreme said:
What about out near Snoqualmie Pass, Lake Kachees sp?, Cle Elum, area? I used to go out there many moons ago? Just other more central WA areas?

Michael
There is some easy roads and trails between CleElum and Quartz Mtn Taneum Creek also a single track that goes from Ellensburg to Selah or turn toward Wenas and Menashtash Coming into The rocks from the East ,Long haul for 1 day but good for overnighters and then Blewett Pass Red top lookout and LionRock lookout and a few easy trails there , Nachess Trail By road and Trail Doable have lunch by Nachess River Return back to this side.

Avanteone said:
There's NO LEGAL wheeling in Capitol forest. Dunno if the area you are talking about is in the forest, but I'm thinking so.

J

I guess i'm not really sure.

There is a parking place for rigs and bathrooms at the start of all the trails

Never seen anyone kicked out by the law yet.

TORX said:
Where ever it is held I plan on being there. Is this going to be an official run following the bylaws?

TORX
[/FONT]
It's a Northwest event. Not an official NAXJA event.

I don't see why we couldn't have one in W. WA, E. WA, and the Portland area. The Portland area guys can discuss this topic at their M&G. Rod or Keven, PM me with details, or just post up what you guys come up with. Ill try to attend all of them, if we have more than one, at different times. How's Washougal? Maybe TSF again?

Id like to stay away from a paying ORV park, just for the simplicity of things. But, if someone knows of a great ORV park, that has really great wheelin, lets hear of it!

If you have a place in mind that can accomidate, lets say, 15+ rigs, then post up and describe the terrain and such. We'll have stock rigs on street tires, so keep that in mind. Ill have another post in a week or so, with a poll, of where, and when you all think it shall occur.

Keep the ideas coming! :sunshine:

After hearing James' words about Rock Candy, I would vote Tehuya. Been there, enjoyed it. If she wants the wife would drive. I always give her the option with alot of nervousness.

Jason

Back