• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so ive found a few dana 44's for sell in my state.

norcalchris said:
thats what i thought. but how many waggys came with d44s?..i saw one at the junk yard and got happy, i was gonna pull the axles, then i got down there and they were d35/30.

major dissapointment

When we talk "waggies" we are talking about full size Jeeps, Wagoneers, full size Cherokees, J series trucks. Not the XJ sized wagoneers. The FSJ's will be full width so you need to swap both axles. Most all of them are D-44/D-44.

xjtrailrider said:
When we talk "waggies" we are talking about full size Jeeps, Wagoneers, full size Cherokees, J series trucks. Not the XJ sized wagoneers. The FSJ's will be full width so you need to swap both axles. Most all of them are D-44/D-44.

oh. got ya. can those axles be narrowed down, because there around 65 inches arnt they

xjtrailrider said:
Waggys are not full width, the rear axle is an inch narrower and the front axle is a few inchs wider than a XJ. I have a waggy dana 44 rear axle on my XJ and it is narrower.

norcalchris said:
oh. got ya. can those axles be narrowed down, because there around 65 inches arnt they

Yep, anything is possible! Nothing money can't fix, but if its a trail rig why bother, run them full width. If its a stronger stock width axle you are after then your choices are the 29 spline 8.25(my favorite because they are cheap), the rare XJ/MJ D-44(expensive), or the slightly narrower ford 8.8 from a ford Exploder(mid 90's).

jeepboy381 said:
Waggys are not full width, the rear axle is an inch narrower and the front axle is a few inchs wider than a XJ. I have a waggy dana 44 rear axle on my XJ and it is narrower.

Anyone have a width on waggy axles (actual numbers).

-Alex

get an xj rear44 if you plan on keeping the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern but if you wanna change the front out then try to plan ahead and match accordingly. just a thought

I for one can verify that a D44 came in the 87-90 Cherokee's. I have one.....

3024245_28_full.jpg

It's dirt and nasty, but it's a D44....

Back