• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

starting question and NSS

DeadHead420

NAXJA Forum User
awile back i posted a question about my starting problem , anyways it only seems to happen once in awhile ,bout a month ago brand new starter, and the battery is relativly new as well , anyways , i NEVER have a problem starting on a cold engine. it seems like after i drive it somewere , shut it off and try and start again , NO BUENO. after a couple trys , it usually only starts in neautral , and if i shut it off again it won't start in park at all for a couple trys at least , no if my NSS was bad , would it not start at all or only sometimes? and i also no that there is 2 other possiblitlys , which is the wiring and ignition switch , any input would be a great help , thank you

check starter relay, they can stick in the heat. replace it

My 87 has NSS issues as well, sometimes it will start in both P and N, sometimes only only N, or Vice Versa.

You can clean them, you just have to remove it from the trans, split in it half along the seam, rough up the contacts with sandpaper, put the two halves back together and bolt it back on, making sure it's adjusted correctly.

Yes, it is that simple.

Get a Haynes or Chilton,even as crappy as these books are, it does show how do adjust and remove/replace it....

Mine's just the opposite. It won't start when the ambient temp. is below 65-70, but will start fine after it has warmed up. Clean your NSS and you should be good to go.

ohh yeah and sometimes my reverse lights take a lil bit to kick on after i start reversing , or won't come on at all , so my guess is the NSS , thanks alot guys , im gonna try cleaning it this weekend.

Back