• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those...

Baja_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
For those running 2 ladder/ traction bars how did you run them on the passanger side? I was looking on mine and it seems that I will have to run from an inch from the third member, go out about 12 inchs and bend it out and angle it to the tranny crossmember at the "frame". For the front mount Ive read that you need a shackle to allow for movement of the axle? I fully understand that a bar on 1 side would be plenty for a XJ but Id rather run 2. Pics, input apprieciated

I know one is enough but Im mounting limit straps to them so I need two. Another reason, its mostly going to be drove highway and city, since two looks better Id rather have two

Well if looks are all you are going for build the second just coming of the axle and don't worry about hooking it to the frame.

X2

One is plenty. and eliminates all the hassle of fitting one next to the exhaust.

Baja_XJ said:
Does it need to be mounted with a shackle?
Yes,the axle moves fore and aft as it cycles.You also need some form of flex-joint at the frame end for the twisting action.

A little mentioned problem with 2 traction bars: They bind!
With bare leaf packs, when one side lifts, the axle will twist slightly. the 2 springs BOTH twist a little to even it out.
With a single traction bar, as the suspension moves, the axle will twist around the traction bar, and both leaves will be forced to twist slightly, but both will twist in the same plane to match the bar.
With 2 bars, each bar is trying to twist the axle around it's own center. It almost never matters on a street car because pavement is level(on average anyway) Off road, when you lift one tire, the 2 bars now have different role centers, and the bars are trying to twist the axle housing, or flex the mounts.

Back