• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 - NP242 temperature?

slabelle67

NAXJA Forum User
89 Cherokee, 4.6L stroker, 4:56 gears, detroit in rear, 32" tires. I was investigating a clunk yesterday after work. I noticed the transmission and transfer case were pretty hot after only a 20 mile drive. How hot is normal? I can touch it without getting burned, but only for a second. I am wondering if my transfer case or transmission could be going out?

The levels are good, the transfer case was just put in about 3,000 miles ago(used, but out of a newer jeep) so the fluid is pretty new. Based on the previous owners lack of maintenance though, I am sure the transmission could use new fluid/filter. I was just curious what the normal operating temp should be for them.

I remember a thread a whlie ago about this, I think the best temps for the aw4 to run is between 160-190, if you search and look for a while you might find it.

from my 95 FSM normal operating temp for the AW4 is 122-176 deg. It does not list a temp for the t case

Back