• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to look/Lookout for in an XJ

Joepoppa1

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I am new to the forum and I need a little advice from some XJ guys. I am looking to buy a XJ here realsoon and wanted some advice on some of the things that I need to look for and lok out for when humting for a XJ. I know every model of Jeep has its quirks and weakpoints, and I need some help on figgerin out what I need to avoid. I m not new to jeeps, I have a 92 YJ and am a member of LSJC, I go by Joepoppa1 ther also, and I am looking for some more room for gear and family. I am pretty knowledgeable when it comes to cars, so dont be affraid to throw technical terms at me, I will understand. I appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks.

Don't know how much you intend to build it, and if you're swapping major drivetrain components anyways, then the "watch list" is kindof irrelevant. Assuming you'll keep some stock:

Avoid:

• D35 rear end - just like your YJ, its a POS. Look for a 91 or newer with a Chrysler 8.25, preferably the 29 spline flavor (96 and newer I think).

Peugot 5 speed tranny - no redeeming value, pre-91 only.

low pinion D30 front ends (00 and 01 only).
    [\LIST]

Otherwise, its really just a whole buch of opinion. Some folks hate the pre-91 renix systems, some love em. Some hate vaccuum disconnect front axles, I tend to think the cast makes the housing stronger when you swap to a solid shaft. Do a search and you'll find a multitude of opinions on the "best year" -- my humble opinion is go for a 1999 -- it has a large shafted (297) high pinion nondisco front end, improved flowing intake, steel hatch (all 97 and later)... plus I own one. :dunce:

Welcome and happy shoppingl

xj-grin said:
Don't know how much you intend to build it, and if you're swapping major drivetrain components anyways, then the "watch list" is kindof irrelevant. Assuming you'll keep some stock:

Avoid:

• D35 rear end - just like your YJ, its a POS. Look for a 91 or newer with a Chrysler 8.25, preferably the 29 spline flavor (96 and newer I think).

Peugot 5 speed tranny - no redeeming value, pre-91 only.

low pinion D30 front ends (00 and 01 only).
    [\LIST]

Otherwise, its really just a whole buch of opinion. Some folks hate the pre-91 renix systems, some love em. Some hate vaccuum disconnect front axles, I tend to think the cast makes the housing stronger when you swap to a solid shaft. Do a search and you'll find a multitude of opinions on the "best year" -- my humble opinion is go for a 1999 -- it has a large shafted (297) high pinion nondisco front end, improved flowing intake, steel hatch (all 97 and later)... plus I own one. :dunce:

Welcome and happy shoppingl

• I love the 87 models they come with the D44 non-disco 30 and the 242 t-case. woo hoo Cant forget it is a Renix

Yeah, french design, before chryco added their 0.02 to the HO motor in 91. Some like it alot because it is easier to manipulate, some hate it. I've never owned a renix 4.0 (I do have a similar bendix injected 2.5 comanche!), so I don't really have an opinion.

Rusted out floor pans is a big one. XJs are prone to leak at the doors and firewall and the water gets under the carpet and is trapped. Check carefully from the underside and trust your nose. I could smell a musty smell in my 96. If you can, remove the door sill trim and peak under the carpet.

The general consensus is a late 96(after May/June cause that's when they went to 29 splines from the 27 splines; all 96's have the 49psi rail and 23.2#injectors, and different cam that lowered peak torque to 3K instead of 4K, dual diaphragm booster, NVH--noise vibration harshness upgrades--crank girdle, OBD-2 makes it easier to diagnose problems and monitor sensors) for the earlier body style and a 99 for the newer body style(high pinion d30 and the better intake manifold--might have to be mid year one). Anyhow I've had an 88, 92, 94, and now 96 and they were all awesome. Stay away from the 2000/2001s that have the 0331 head--prone to crack when overheated.

Last edited:
Joepoppa1 said:
Hi, I am new to the forum and I need a little advice from some XJ guys. I am looking to buy a XJ here realsoon and wanted some advice on some of the things that I need to look for and lok out for when humting for a XJ. I know every model of Jeep has its quirks and weakpoints, and I need some help on figgerin out what I need to avoid.

Stay tuned to this site. When gas starts selling for 7 bucks a gallon, I'll sell you my '99. It's got everything you want. Search the site, and you'll agree.

well I found one... It is a 93 country edition with the 4.0HO and the auto ( I am assuming the AW4), slight lift from rustys off road. runs great shifts great..has a creaking sound I can feel in my left foot when I turn the wheel left, though, nuthin a long arm kit can't take care of... Pretty basic rig. interioris clean. I appreciate all the help you guys have offered. I will be on here quite a bit picking brains and chattin with y'all.

If you buy a 2000 or 2001 (I think some LATE LATE 1999's as well) check to make sure the aluminum head isn't cracked between the #3 and #4 cylinders.

And, check for FLOOR RUST!!!!!!!

Joepoppa1 said:
well I found one... It is a 93 country edition with the 4.0HO and the auto ( I am assuming the AW4), slight lift from rustys off road. runs great shifts great..has a creaking sound I can feel in my left foot when I turn the wheel left, though, nuthin a long arm kit can't take care of... Pretty basic rig. interioris clean. I appreciate all the help you guys have offered. I will be on here quite a bit picking brains and chattin with y'all.

Have a buddy turn the wheel while you watch the trackbar mount on the frame side. I suspect you either have a loose mount, loose bar, or a frame crack -- either way, you should fix it sooner rather than later. Welcome aboard!

XJ Tranny will either be an AX-15 manual or an AX-4 auto, axles will be D30 front (could be either disco or non) and either a D35 or 27spline Chryco8.25 rear.

XJ Stryker said:
I love the 87 models they come with the D44 non-disco 30 and the 242 t-case. woo hoo Cant forget it is a Renix
They only had the non-disco axle because they have the NP242. Similar NP231-equipped models would have the disco axle with smaller (260x) u-joints.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Back