• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How bad would this be for an XJ

Jeep89

NAXJA Forum User
How bad would it be if someone were to accidently shift into reverse while driving at say 30-40 mph? How would the vehicle react and what warning lights would/should trigger from this? (My friend says he does it all the time at work, where he drives cars)

most cars have a sensor or some b.s that won't let you shift into reverse. you can kdrop the tranny doing that, screw up the engine, etc. try running full speed and someone trying to switch you into reverse see how you would react and imagine.

and some people say im nuts for trying to get all 4 wheels spinning in 4 high.

Cant say for a jeep, but I did that acciedentally once.

50 mph in a 69 El Camino, 400sb, th350 auto. I was trying to pop it into nuetral to rev the engine at a freind of mine. Slipped into reverse right as I hit the gas pedal. Tires Barked pretty loud but didn't do ANY damage. This was not a stock vehicle though, I had a shift kit (which allowed me to shift into any gear at any speed), a built rearend, driveshaft, trans, poly mounts, etc, etc.

I wouldn't reccommend doing it for kicks. Even if nothing breaks, it could send you for a slide in a jeep(maybe even a roll)

i have done it by accident onec doing 25-30 it just made this popping noise like it was some kind of saftey thing. once i slowed down enough it stopped poping and ran fine in reverse. and i can shift through all gears at while moving. thats like if you hook the front wheels up on certin rwd cars. after you hit 15mph the wheels unlock and spin.

I'd also like to know where he works so I too can avoid it.

Can't say i've ever thrown it into reverse at 30 or even 40 or 50. The most i'm moving when I hit reverse it maybe 1mph, and vise versa when going from reverse to drive.

Was in my friend's bronco and he dropped it from drive to reverse at about 35mph.. stalled the engine instantly and left a 6 foot patch of rubber..

Truck started and drove fine .. still running now..

my brother accidently did that to a volvo not sure how.
probly going faster than 30 idk.
all the lights came on and it completely shut off. started fine no problems afterwards.

Ok so I guess hes not f-ing cars and stuff up too bad. I don't want to tell you where he works because I'm sure that could backfire on him. He said nothing happens but i figured there has to be some long term consqequences.

this is why i fear more than anything else... handing the keys to my 4.0 5spd MJ to anybody at a parking place or anywhere to work on it.

terrifies me.

No worries, he works at a car dealership. A mostly new car dealership too which is what scaresme/pisses me off. He got in trouble once because the abs light came on in a honda (i forget which model) after he did this reverse stunt. He says its fun to do in the rain.

i did this about 7 years ago in my '96 XJ. Was coming over a pass in Colorado and shifted in the wrong direction on my AW4. The engine just stalled out an I coasted to the shoulder. no power steering or braking on a mountain pass sucks. Anyway, once I was stopped, the jeep started back up find and has been running fine ever since.

Back