• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

upgrading axle shafts

Jimbo_1321

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so I searched, I couldn't find anything, I'm rebuilding my old 44 to go in my new jeep and I figured I could throw in some 33 spline shafts from a company like superior, what all do I need to do to be able to put these shafts in? like changing the carrier or.... I have some guesses but no real idea.
and is there a different brand I should go with? and why?

youll just need a full case locker to match the shafts.. Certain shafts require new axle shaft seals but the superior shafts use the stock ones...Superior is by far the best shaft to go with,,

xalexjx said:
youll just need a full case locker to match the shafts..

You can run an ARB, Detroit, or OX locker setup for 33 spline.

xalexjx said:
...Superior is by far the best shaft to go with,,

Except of course for Alloy-USA, which is a better product for the same or less money with a better warranty.

Call Reider Racing and see what kind of deal you can get on a 33 spline locker and alloy-usa shafts.

http://www.reiderracing.com/

sweet, thanks.
the thing I do like about superior is that you can set the bolt pattern to 4.5 on 5 or 5.5 on 5 which I'm planning on swapping in a waggy 44 to the front and running the ford outers. though the width difference I'll probably need a spacer anyways.

I was going to say that.. :)

Most of the aftermarket shafts come in both patterns.

Search under my name for posts with "super 44".

There was one thread a couple years ago that had a lot of tech in it, and then one a couple months ago when I asked about acutally buying the Super kit, or simply piecing it together.

Your going to need a new locker, ARB, Detroit, OX, shafts kits, usually come with bearings, seals etc, gears?, and maybe a master install kit.

thanks starboard, that answered my question exactly!
and Chris, I've read quite a few places that once up to a 35 spline it makes the ring and pinion the weak point, and a trail repair with a shaft would be a big enough pain... I don't even want to picture changing a ring and pinion on the trail.
plus I'm pretty sold on OX lockers
:D

I'm running the 35 spline ARB kit as well.

So far web wheeling and leaking on my driveway hasn't broken a single ring and pinion! ;)

oh sweet!
maybe I'll just go with that then.
ha ha ha.
the driveway does get pretty intense sometimes, I'm always worried that a 33 spline wouldn't hold up

Back