• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Stoage Box

2000bluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of building one. Prbably going to have 2 drawers in it with space underneath for a nice plastic tote for extra shafts ujoints etc. A couple drawers with tools storage and what not and a flat top with some of those tiedown loops for a spare or w/e. Question is, would i be better off building out of metal, simple frame skinned with sheet, or Plywood. I have some 3/4 inch i think mape cab grade around here somewhere. Im actually leaning towards metal incase i decide to cut the back off. Opinions?

I built one out of plywood with the lid on top, and that sucked. I had to unload everything to get to anything inside. Drawers are definitely the way to go. Also the lid started warping under the weight of the crap piled on top of it. It wasn't 3/4 though. If I were to build another one it has to be metal with drawers. The wood seemed to be too big and bulky and took up too much space.

I was thinking of making a frame with 1/2 square tuning and covering in sheet. That way it has plenty of strength. I just dont know of ot would be lighter than all wood. It would be i think.....

I have built several "rear storage shelves" and here is what I have found.
1. 5/8" ply is plenty for spanning the rear cargo area (light stuff should be on top, heavy stuff on bottom).
2. I have supported my shelf from either side of the Jeep interior structure (behind the plastic) and just used a piece of angle in each corner to mount it to.
3. metal tends to "rattle" and "creak".

I currently keep my spare tire on one side of the floor, I have a slide out wood box on the other side that holds all of my recovery gear and a divider between the two. The shelf spans the entire top and retains the box and spare and keeps everything on top clean. There are tie downs on top to strap light bags, clothes, camping gear, coolers etc down also.

Michael

2xtreme said:
I have built several "rear storage shelves" and here is what I have found.
1. 5/8" ply is plenty for spanning the rear cargo area (light stuff should be on top, heavy stuff on bottom).
2. I have supported my shelf from either side of the Jeep interior structure (behind the plastic) and just used a piece of angle in each corner to mount it to.
3. metal tends to "rattle" and "creak".

I currently keep my spare tire on one side of the floor, I have a slide out wood box on the other side that holds all of my recovery gear and a divider between the two. The shelf spans the entire top and retains the box and spare and keeps everything on top clean. There are tie downs on top to strap light bags, clothes, camping gear, coolers etc down also.

Michael
you got any pictures?

This is an older version but it gives you the idea.
The newer version has a divider between the tire and box (I had to do this to be able to install the shelf between my pillars on my cage and still make it fit right).

DSCN8741.jpg

Michael

Back