• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What sensor is this?

VAwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find out what this sensor is. It screws into the block on the drivers side, about mid-way front-back and near the oil pan top-bottom.

I am going to try and add some pics to help you guys out.

47b8db38b3127ccec4736668d40900000056100AZOXDZq2ZOGIPbz4c

47b8db38b3127ccec4729ec6f49700000056100AZOXDZq2ZOGIPbz4c

You can see it very well but there are two prongs in there.

47b8db38b3127ccec4720e78f46100000056100AZOXDZq2ZOGIPbz4c

And this is why I need a new one.

47b8db38b3127ccec472db94b47f00000056100AZOXDZq2ZOGIPbz4c

Renix knock sensor I think. Thats what it looks like to me anyway. What year XJ is that from? If it is 87-90 then it is the knock sensor.

the pic in your other thread about holes in the engine shows it's location well.
other folks guessed that in that thread.
Mines not hooked up in my '88, so far she runs well enough to not worry about it.

Yea I looked at the old thread and just wanted to make sure I was putting the right sensor in the right hole.

I am glad to hear that running without it will be okay...Do I need to plug the hole?

VAwheeler said:
Yea I looked at the old thread and just wanted to make sure I was putting the right sensor in the right hole.

I am glad to hear that running without it will be okay...Do I need to plug the hole?

You should not - it's a mechanical connection, not one that retains any fluid. If you're really worried, just get a short screw that has the same thread pitch as the sensor snout. I'm not sure, but I do believe it's a metric thread.

If all is "right" with your engine controls/outputs/sensors, you don't need that knock sensor. I've been running without mine for a year now with no issues.

Just looks like the plastic pulled off to me. If it fits back together and you can still plug the wiring in, I'd just glue it back together.

The plastic did just fall off. Well actually its cracked. I may just try to glue it on but I am worried that the connector wont be connected properly. And if its not connected properly then whats the point in having it at all?

VAwheeler said:
The plastic did just fall off. Well actually its cracked. I may just try to glue it on but I am worried that the connector wont be connected properly. And if its not connected properly then whats the point in having it at all?

Advanced Auto sells the GP sorenson brand replacement for around $60. You will have to order it.

Where you at in VA?

Back