• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swap a 2 wheel drive tranny into a 4 wheel drive???

jeephick85

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I have a 89 xj 4x4, with an automatic tranny and it seems that occasionally it seems to be forcing more than other times. Seems like something might be slipping a little. I have a 93 h.o. that was 2 wheel drive and it has a manual tranny. can I fit this tranny on my 89 and mount my transfer case to it?? thanks alot. Jamie

You'd have to tear apart both trannys and pull the output shaft from the 4wd tranny and the rear housing and put them both onto the 2wd tranny. The 4wd shaft is shorter and the rear of the case has the mounting provisions for the transfer case. They are also different spline counts. 92 and older I believe were 21 spline and 92+ were 23 spline. I might be off by a year though.

No such thing as an "easy" conversion 2WD-4WD or 4WD-2WD for a transmission - the tailcones are different, and the mainshafts have different lengths.

If you are so inclined, count the splines on your input/output set. They changed to the 23-sp in 1989 (around August, but count to be sure.) If your output is 23-sp, finding your replacement transmission just got a whole lot easier...

Back