• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for those who have waited to regear after lifting

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
I want to add a RE 4.5 onto my XJ, but dont really have the time or money to regear first. Should i hold off (go through summer without a lifted jeep) of just lift it and regear as soon as money allows.

How BAD is it with 32" tires and 3.55 gears?? Is it at least driveable, offroad and ON??

sorry if this is a repeat question, it should be a quick answer from those who know

thank you all

I have 31's with 3.07's....it drives fine, just cant get above 65-70 too easy

It sucks. I have the same setup with stock gears. I get about 11-12 mpg. The RPM's always seem a bit low. If you don't mind the crappy gas millage the less than stock daily driving performance then go for it.

It'll be driveable. When I broke the R&P (4.56s) on my 8.25, I swapped in a d44 with 3.07s and drove it that way for a while until I had the cash and parts gathered to re-gear and lock the d44. This was on 35s.

I am run that set up and with 2xx,xxx on the clock it will still chirp the tire and i can get up to about 90 mph. the gas milage is a little worse but i have changed the spedo gear so not 100% sure on the real milage. I estamate about 14mpg. Hope thtis helps BTW I do nothing but city driving and i like to launch from the red lights.

i'm on 31's with stock gears... stock for me is 3.07 due to the fact that i have the ax15... so i'm guessing you have the aw4.... so anyway... it's not that bad, but it is a bit slow. just don't try to win any nascar races and you should be ok. in low range, like for wheeling, there will be plenty of torque.

a cheap way out if you have the ax15 is to take axles from under a xj that had an aw4 unless you are going to significantly larger tires.

yes i have the 32s already, it wont see much DD at all, just weekend bushing with a trip into town here and there

I'm on 30s x 3.55 and this thing drives great on flat groudn but the Utah mountains make an absolute dog of this thing - get passed by minivans and dump trucks heading up the big hills. Overdrive is a flat ground and downhill gear ONLY.
The up shot is that on flat ground at 2500 RPM I'm doing 80 MPH x 20.5 MPG
Can't quite break the tires loose, but I have the factory LSD and I probably don't need to replace the rubber anyway.

My old jeep i was running 31's on it with the stock gearing (3.55) and the gas mileage sucked but driveability and off roading was fine for me just think about gas. I am running 33's now and I am going to re gear it to 4.56's again gas.

I did 3.07's and 31's on my 5spd for 8 months, it was fine, but 5th gear was useless.

If you had an auto it would be easier to get away with, the torque converter covers up alot. The 3.07s will suck a fat one with 32s.

xjkilla said:
99 with 4.5" and 33x10.50 with stock gearing. acceleration sucks and sometimes i drop way down to make it up hill. but havent had a problem wheeling it yet.

Yes you have, you just won't realize it until you regear :D.

89, true 31's, 3.55s, GPSed MPG at 18.9 average on a 3200mile trip. With 3 adults and loads of gear. I only have 40k on the motor though. Glasspack, spacer and KnN.

kdailey4315 said:
It sucks. I have the same setup with stock gears. I get about 11-12 mpg. The RPM's always seem a bit low. If you don't mind the crappy gas millage the less than stock daily driving performance then go for it.

1998 Auto - NP242J - 4.5" - 32x11.5x15. I get about 11 mpg. Drives great! It's a little slower (harder to get up to 100 mph). ;)

Back