• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling noise from engine

MSLD

NAXJA Forum User
It sounds like there are soda cans rattling around in my engine. Haynes manual says could be a stuck lifter, but this is a little out of my realm. Any advice?thoughts on what this could be. I'd rather do the work myself than pay a garage. Any help would be appreciated.

pull the valve cover and check the rocker arms, if there is any excessive play in any of them you have found your stuck lifter

from the sound you are describing, it sounds more like pulley bearings. Get an automotive stethescope and check everything before you tear the engine apart.

Occasionally accompanied by a little squeel. I don't know if this changes the diagnosis. Will check out the lifters. Thanks again for any help.

Matt

Thanks for the help Jess. I am sorry to ask for more, but I left out some details. No noise at idle, apply gas in neutral or park (up to 3000rpm), no noise. Put it into drive and the noise start (seems only under load)...pop cans rattling around. Thanks in advance for the help.

Matt

Back