• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisy fuel pump -temporary solution

Don Becker

NAXJA Forum User
Good morning.

This isn't about what causes it, how to replace it or the old remove-the-tank-or-not question. Nor, is it about what to expect should it fail. I know all of that.

The only question I have is this: it's SO noisy; is there anything you folks know about that I can add to my tank that will quiet it some until I replace the pump next weekend?

Thanks!

Don

Don Becker said:
Good morning.

This isn't about what causes it, how to replace it or the old remove-the-tank-or-not question. Nor, is it about what to expect should it fail. I know all of that.

The only question I have is this: it's SO noisy; is there anything you folks know about that I can add to my tank that will quiet it some until I replace the pump next weekend?

Thanks!

Don
Hallo . My advice is listen to very loud music, like Shadow gallery or Dream theater and do the repair next week.:party: Also fill it up, the gas will demp the sound mayby.

Last edited:
wim hoppenbrouwers said:
Also fill it up, the gas will demp the sound mayby.
This is true, but it puts you in a catch 22 because either the pump will fail and you will now have to siphon gas below the halfway point to change the pump, or you will still have too much gas when you do have to change it, either way, don't fill up above 1/2 tank, and don't get below 1/4 tank.

So, we're not recommending adding a little oil to the fuel or anything like that, right? And, the tank is full - - - 'doesn't muffle it much. I'll be running it down to about the last 5 gallons this week because the tank is coming out. I did the change (on my first 88 XJ Limited) with the tank in - - - NEVER AGAIN - - - 'just too uncomfortable trying to work and get it all right sitting there with my head crammed-in between the tank and the rear punkin. Don

Don Becker said:
So, we're not recommending adding a little oil to the fuel or anything like that, right? And, the tank is full - - - 'doesn't muffle it much. I'll be running it down to about the last 5 gallons this week because the tank is coming out. I did the change (on my first 88 XJ Limited) with the tank in - - - NEVER AGAIN - - - 'just too uncomfortable trying to work and get it all right sitting there with my head crammed-in between the tank and the rear punkin. Don
I think it's much more of a PITA to pull the tank because of the fill and vent hoses, but whatever blows your dress up. I wouldn't put oil in the tank but maybe some lucas oil fuel cleaner, it's supposed to lubricate the fuel system but I don't think that you would change the noise level of the pump any.

Thanks. Don

Seems that somewhere on here there was a mention of the "ballast resistor" by-pass which made the fuel pump run louder because of the difference in the amount of current sent to the fuel pump.

B.RAIDER said:
Seems that somewhere on here there was a mention of the "ballast resistor" by-pass which made the fuel pump run louder because of the difference in the amount of current sent to the fuel pump.

The ballast resistor's function is simply to limit current to the fuel pump. In doing so it somewhat regulates the output of the pump AND reduces noise.

Check the set-up with your ballast resistor first. You can replace it for
$4.50 and ten minutes of your time and possibly save yourself replacing a fuel pump. Usually I'd think that if it wasn't working at all you's have the "start and die" thing going on. Some folks jump those two wires to get off the side of the road in that case.

Give it a shot.

Back