• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally found a use for the overhead console sunglass holder

OBXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Since none of the sunglasses I wear actually fit in there and I dont wear eyeglasses...

I came up with this. I havent seen it done before so I thought I'd share.

DSC01301.jpg

DSC01302.jpg

DSC01303.jpg

One of our DD's is a BMW and they have these cool little orange LED's in the OC that put out this nice, mellow little orange glow that illuminates the interior at night. I love that feature and thought the Xj needed a little orange ambiance love too. I picked up a couple of Orange LED's from RatShack and threw those in too.

DSC01305.jpg

All in all Im very pleased with how it all came out.

Now I just need to find some small (1/8") dry transfer lettering to label each switch. I saw someone else on here used some for his switch box but I cant seem to find the thread at the moment.

Last edited:
very cool. any more pics of the mounting?

that's a very wierd OHC. what year?

I didnt take any pics during the fab process but it was pretty easy. I found a thin piece of metal laying around from a radio shack project box(8"x5" i think).

I trimmed the plate to fit down into the sunglass holder and bent it at the top to be snug up agains the back part of the sunglass holder.

I then had to trim the backside of the OC to allow clearance for the switches when the holder is closed. Just be careful not to cut off the latching mechanism built into the OC or it will be hanging down forever.

Threw in a couple of self tapping screws to hold the metal sheet to the sunglass holder ( i wouldve preferred to use rivets but I dont have a rivet gun.. it wouldve left a cleaner look)

easy-peasy..

Oh , its 98. Im fairly certain the OC came from a 98, I bought it off ebay so I cant be sure but I know its from a 97+.

Cool idea.

Here is an idea:
Spare 1=Smoke screen Spare 2=rocket launcher

I think it looks great and very well done too.

I'm working on an 8 switch panel. OBA, E-fans, front lights, roof lights, rear lights, Tq Conv lockup, high idle, and one spare. As soon as I figure out where I want it to go I'm going to do a write up as well. I've got some ideas, just haven't had the time lately to really look into it.

Back