• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaft too short with only 3" lift.

greyghost

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 XJ with the 4.0, AX-15 and NP-231(with the damn slip-yolk)
Just got it for $600 as a new off road project since my 97 Sonoma with 7" of lift was sold. Anyway with only 3" of lift and 31x10.50x15 Baja Claws why is the rear shaft pulling out of the slip yolk. I know people that run 6" of lift on Xj's and still use the stock shafts, but they are automatics. Was the stock shaft on the models with the AX-5 and AX-15 shorter than the automatic shaft? And what can I use as a junkyard shaft to correct this because I am cheap and I am doing this on a budget?

the rear drivershafts are actually longer but the tranny is shorter as well. i'm pretty sure a YJ output yoke is 1" longer. of course the best option would be an SYE. the RE hack and tap can be done pretty cheap with a stock front DS from an auto. do you have the D35 of the 8.25? pretty sure the D35 is shorter but i don't know if a different driveshaft was used...

BADaXJ said:
the rear drivershafts are actually longer but the tranny is shorter as well. i'm pretty sure a YJ output yoke is 1" longer. of course the best option would be an SYE. the RE hack and tap can be done pretty cheap with a stock front DS from an auto. do you have the D35 of the 8.25? pretty sure the D35 is shorter but i don't know if a different driveshaft was used...

Your recommendation is inaccurate for the thread starter's situation. A front driveshaft from an auto would still be too short for his application. Using terms like 'pretty sure' is a good sign that you shouldn't be giving advice. :)

greyghost, you shaft is longer than an auto. The slip yoke is pulling out because of the lift. To clarify, when you say 'pulling out', is it to the point where it's coming completely out of the case or is it just slid out a little ways?

ECKSJAY said:
Your recommendation is inaccurate for the thread starter's situation. A front driveshaft from an auto would still be too short for his application. Using terms like 'pretty sure' is a good sign that you shouldn't be giving advice. :)

greyghost, you shaft is longer than an auto. The slip yoke is pulling out because of the lift. To clarify, when you say 'pulling out', is it to the point where it's coming completely out of the case or is it just slid out a little ways?

Word Phil.

Had to get a front shaft lengthened for use in my AX15 rig with a SYE. :twak:

not sure what you guys put together but i'm runnning an AX-15 / NP 231 combo with an 8.25 and a STOCK front ds from an AW4 rig. running over 5" of lift and turning 33's for over a year now with zero problems... granted its got more slip exposed than other setups but it hasn't been an issue yet. but, if that isn't good enough, a zj front shaft (u-joint style) is about an inch longer and should suite your needs. any chance you guys are running D35's? my buddy also used an auto shaft with his 8.25 at about 6". he's now runnning full widths, ~7" and 36 swampers... still the same rear shaft setup as me though.

Last edited:
BADaXJ said:
not sure what you guys put together but i'm runnning an AX-15 / NP 231 combo with an 8.25 and a STOCK front ds from an AW4 rig. running over 5" of lift and turning 33's for over a year now with zero problems... granted its got more slip exposed than other setups but it hasn't been an issue yet. but, if that isn't good enough, a zj front shaft (u-joint style) is about an inch longer and should suite your needs. any chance you guys are running D35's? my buddy also used an auto shaft with his 8.25 at about 6". he's now runnning full widths, ~7" and 36 swampers... still the same rear shaft setup as me though.

4.5", 8.25, stock AW4 front shaft. Got it lengthened 3". And that was with all the slip yoke exposed, it was still short.

BADaXJ said:
granted its got more slip exposed than other setups but it hasn't been an issue yet.

I don't know about our guy, but I know *I* would feel better knowing that it's right instead of 'meh'.

:fuse:

Thanks guys, Its a Dana 35. and yes it pulled out as in dropped to the ground. I would like to do a SYE conversion but for right now I just need a simple fix to get the greyghost moving with its own rear wheel power again. I can just have my shaft lengthened but I was wondering if anyone has had this problem before and if there was a simple junkyard shaft that was a little longer than an XJ's to get my by for now.

do some searching for the YJ yoke. i know there's one thats longer that'll get you by until you can properly address the issue...

The YJ yoke isn't all that much longer. The reason people use it is that it has better clearance on the sides and helps prevent binding.

I just put on a 3" lift last weekend and noticed that the pins in the rear leaf springs were not centered fore/aft. I'm wondering if the rear leafs are on backwards?

But then again, what do I know?

--
Eric

---
.sig on backorder

Back