• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Noticed this...

futbol4x4xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I just got home and noticed my jeep was leaking fluid out of the lower part of the steering knuckle? Any Ideas? outer Axle seal?

Jeep31013.jpg

Jeep31016.jpg

Jeep31018.jpg

Jeep31017.jpg

Looks like axel seal is leaking.

Smell it...smell like diff. fluid? Looks like diff. seal. Kind of a pain to replace and if have you it apart to replace the seal(inner) you may want to replace the hub/bearing unit especially if its original. The seals are not expensive.

inner axle seal is bad.. not terrible to change if you have some basic wrenching skills.. should take about an hour and a half maby less...

futbol4x4xj said:
I am decent at wrenching. Might have a shop do it. Immediate fix or do I have some time?

Top off your fluid then drive it a few days and check it again to see how much you have lost.

To repair the seals the axle shafts have to come out and the carrier/ring gear. Getting the old seals out is easy, pressing/driving the new ones in may be your biggest challenge as well as removing the carrier with out a diff spreader.

Back