• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering upgrades?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, to start off, yes I have a Dana 30, yes I am a cheap bastard and yes I want better steering... I know.. pick... 1.....

All joking aside, I have currently a JCR style steering setup and I keep finding that the weakest link is the long TRE that is on the passenger side. I just pretzeled another one of 'em. So... what are my options? I'm looking for reasonable solutions that could potentially include a hydro assist. Ideas?

Toss it OTK? Just gotta ream out the long TRE hole in the opposite direction for OTK.

But that'll involve moving the TB and clearencing in other places.

Or spend the big bucks for the new D30 hi steer knuckles, from Crane, I believe.

Crane? The same dudes that make cams?

damn you...now i might have to re-think my whole axle re-build idea!!! :D

Good find...

I'm running the Currie set-up and it is great. All I need is the go fer it tie rod flip and I'll be happy. Another option is WJ knuckles but then you need to change the trackbar mount and a bunch of other things

ECKSJAY said:
Reid Racing. ;) I handled a set the other day and they're very nice. :) http://www.reidracing.biz/DANA30.php
nice but... damn! This is entering a whole new level of $ spending because I wouldn't stop with just the knuckles :eek:

What do I do to pretzel TRE's? Lets see, Ron spotted me up an obstacle using my tie rod (not much of a choice in that spot as far as I remember) and then this last pretzel I'm pretty sure happened when I was going into Hells Gate when I bound up and tried to steer out of it (backing up there is a PITA)

Kejtar said:
nice but... damn! This is entering a whole new level of $ spending because I wouldn't stop with just the knuckles :eek:

Consider the cost of the Warn conversion plus the Tera knuckle and linkage. :) From our shop's perspective, the customer was getting a hell of a better deal plus something that was a lot easier to get parts for. With Warn discontinuing a whole bunch of their axle components, this wasn't a bad way for the guy to go. Besides, it was on a Rubicon Unlimited. :woohoo:

But yeah, I know what you mean. :D

Jump This said:
Picts of the damage Remi?
Your tie rod is probably too short if your bending your TRE's.
Bring it over and lets fix something up a bit stronger....

:D
Problem is... this piece:
2233.jpg
No matter what you do to the tie rod, it will always be "longish".

Back