• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steer box brace install

lrsmithwhaley

NAXJA Forum User
I got a new bumper with a steering box brace, and when installing ran into the problem of not being able to get the bolts back through into the steering box. Any suggestions, on how to get the bolts to line up?

which bumper did you get?

try leaving all of the bumper bolts loose until you get all of the bolts in. if that doesn't work then you'll have to decide which holes need to move in which direction. then use a slightly larger drill bit and enlarge them or use a bit the same size as the hole and try to waller it out in the direction needed.

Well, I ended up just taking the bumper back off. I managed to get the bolts back in that way and now I have a leak from the back of the box(I'm going to try some of the stop leak stuff), one bolt is crossthreaded (but has a healthy dose of blue locktite) and my steering wheel is out of alignment.

whitneyj said:
that sounds pretty bad from a bumper installation. . .
Well, I didn't look closely until I was installing it, and therefor didn't realize that it was also a steering box brace until it was to late. Because I was planning on 4-wheeling the next day I decided to go ahead and messing with the steering box, not really knowing what I was in for. It's my own fault though.

Back