• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Dampner Removal?

Euclid

NAXJA Forum User
How the hell does this thing come out?
I've removed the cotter pin/nut and I'm demolishing this bolt with a BFH and it won't budge.
Help?

But it's breaking it!
I'll just give it another try tomorrow. I'm getting tired and frustrated and pissed - you guys know that feeling.

Heat-PB blaster-heat-PB blaster-whack it with a hammer-heat-PB blaster-whack it some more.

You get the picture, it a PITA. I have used a pickle fork on my air chisel with some success. A 2 jaw puller will also work. I have taken the whole drag link/tie rod off before to beat it out of there as well. We had to drill one out on a 98' ZJ before. The good news is the new one will be able to be removed from the new stud and replaced much easier.

i used a tie rod end remover, worked like a charm

ROBZ95Xj said:
i used a tie rod end remover, worked like a charm
Yep, me too...

TierodRemovalTool.jpg

anotherjeff said:
Yep, me too...

TierodRemovalTool.jpg

I think that is a pitman arm puller. The correct tool to remove tie rod ends (and steering stabilizers) from tapered holes is a pickle fork. It should cost about $20 and would have saved you alot of time. I dropped all my steering in about 10 minutes the other night using one. Don't ever hit the threads with a BFH, it will only destroy the threads. If you have to use a hammer, put the nut back on the top of the threads and hit the nut.

Don't beat the stud - beat the hole. It compresses the rust, elastically distorts the shape, and the stud loosens. Then use the pickle fork with something like a 48 oz dead blow to separate the parts. Warming up the hole with a propane torch is good, too, as it forces it to expand. Even if the stud warms up too, ok, warm rust breaks loose better.

Sweet, got it off! Good ole fashioned brute force BFH.

Unfortunately I got it off only to realize that the skyjacker trackbar/stabilizer that I bought just barely doesn't fit... UGH!

Euclid said:
Sweet, got it off! Good ole fashioned brute force BFH.

Unfortunately I got it off only to realize that the skyjacker trackbar/stabilizer that I bought just barely doesn't fit... UGH!

What "doesn't fit" about it?

Euclid said:
It has this bracket that bolts to the stock dampner hole and the swaybar bolt but the swaybar bolt and the hole in the bracket wont line up and the steel is too thick to cut for any of my tools

http://skyjacker.com/image/search/pdf/TBA10.pdf
Mark what you need removed with a sharpie and take it to a welding shop and have it plasma cut to make it fit. I just use those cheap dampners that Advance Auto sells and replace them every year. The rocks "f" them up off road anyway. The AA ones are less than $20.

xjtrailrider said:
Mark what you need removed with a sharpie and take it to a welding shop and have it plasma cut to make it fit. I just use those cheap dampners that Advance Auto sells and replace them every year. The rocks "f" them up off road anyway. The AA ones are less than $20.

Do they bolt up to stock location?

Jess said:
I think that is a pitman arm puller. The correct tool to remove tie rod ends (and steering stabilizers) from tapered holes is a pickle fork. It should cost about $20 and would have saved you alot of time. I dropped all my steering in about 10 minutes the other night using one. Don't ever hit the threads with a BFH, it will only destroy the threads. If you have to use a hammer, put the nut back on the top of the threads and hit the nut.
a tre puler and pitman arm puller look the same, ones just bigger than the other you get get em both for under 15ea at your local parts store

Back