• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Issues with 97

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Okay got my trail Jeep (100,750 miles) today and trying to go ahead and get a few issues solved asap. I'll just type each "issue":

1. Leak from the steering box or one of the hoses I believe. The old owner said it was one of the hoses and he just kept an eye on the fluid level, well that be great but half the engine compartment is stained from something wet flying around. The unibody did have a crack I was told and got someone to booger weld it up and 1/2 way fix it, I plane to add 3/8" plate to fix it 100%, but not sure if this has anything to do with the leak. Its definately steering fluid though I had to add a good bit when I got home and checked it. Here are some pics:

You can see the engine was damp/crudy from something, but not "wet":

engine1.jpg

engine3.jpg

engine2.jpg

steeringbox.jpg

2. The power locks do not work at all, what would be the culprit?

3. The A/C blows cold, BUT it only blow when on the highest setting. On the first click it doesn't blow, move it to the 2nd nope, 3rd, nope, 4th Yeap, it blows really hard like it should on the highest setting.

4. I noticed the oil pressure would vary alot, but so did the engine temp guage too. Should I be a little worried or is it just screwed up guages? The oil pressure would be about 40-42 and drop to 12 or so stopped. May need more oil?

1.) Replace the 2 power steering hoses and if the leaks stop, problem solved. If the leaking persists then replace the Power steering box itself or pick one up and the junkyard.

2.) I would guess the fuse/fuses. Check and replace.

3.) My first thought was the blower motor. You can find one cheap and easy at the junkyard and install it. I would first check the vacum canister and all vacum lines for cracks, kinks, etc. and replace as needed.

4.) My oil pressure is higher in the morning and when i start after long rests then the pressure goes back down. I wouldnt worry about it. The gauges arent that accurate, from what i have heard. Check the oil and if it needs some add but DONT overfill it.

Good Luck

MENEZES said:
1.) Replace the 2 power steering hoses and if the leaks stop, problem solved. If the leaking persists then replace the Power steering box itself or pick one up and the junkyard.

2.) I would guess the fuse/fuses. Check and replace.

3.) My first thought was the blower motor. You can find one cheap and easy at the junkyard and install it. I would first check the vacum canister and all vacum lines for cracks, kinks, etc. and replace as needed.

4.) My oil pressure is higher in the morning and when i start after long rests then the pressure goes back down. I wouldnt worry about it. The gauges arent that accurate, from what i have heard. Check the oil and if it needs some add but DONT overfill it.

Good Luck

Thanks,

Which is the #2 hose? It looks like the hose that runs up and under the fan may be the culprit, I think its the one in the second picture.

I fyou look at the two hoses, you'll see that one has high-pressure swaged fittings at both ends of the rubber part, and the other does not. The one with the swaged fittings is the output from pump to steering gear, and it is the one more likely to be leaking.

If I were you, I'd do a thorough cleaning/degreasing of the area, and then run it, perhaps putting the front end on jacks so you can cycle the steering back and forth, and see if you can spot where the leakage is occurring. It could save a little time and money. It may be hard to spot a leak if it's lurking under that badly placed radiator hose, but it's worth a try. While you're at it, consider changing the lower radiator hose. It rubs against the power steering line, and may cause a weak spot, and that may be exacerbated by the leaking oil too. I usually wrap a piece of metal flashing around the hose where it crosses, to prevent wear.

if not the blower motor it could be the switch.... had a 87 where the first 2 settings didnt work because the contacts were fried

The fan only working on hi is the resistor pack, under the dash behind the glove box, I replaced the assembly even though I have the correct parts for repairing the original.

Matthew Currie said:
If I were you, I'd do a thorough cleaning/degreasing of the area, and then run it, perhaps putting the front end on jacks so you can cycle the steering back and forth, and see if you can spot where the leakage is occurring. It could save a little time and money. It may be hard to spot a leak if it's lurking under that badly placed radiator hose, but it's worth a try. While you're at it, consider changing the lower radiator hose. It rubs against the power steering line, and may cause a weak spot, and that may be exacerbated by the leaking oil too. I usually wrap a piece of metal flashing around the hose where it crosses, to prevent wear.

X2!

Matthew Currie said:
I fyou look at the two hoses, you'll see that one has high-pressure swaged fittings at both ends of the rubber part, and the other does not. The one with the swaged fittings is the output from pump to steering gear, and it is the one more likely to be leaking.

Do you know the part # for this hose?

RichP said:
The fan only working on hi is the resistor pack, under the dash behind the glove box, I replaced the assembly even though I have the correct parts for repairing the original.

Thanks saw link on how to fix it, guess I need to get a soldering gun or whatever they are called.

Back