• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will JB weld fix this???

Unearthed

NAXJA Forum User
Well on the way driving home from school yesterday I was doing 70 with no problems and I go to check my rear view mirror, and I can hardly see anything out of it because it was shaking so much. Then all of a sudden BANG!!!!. So I pull off to the side of the road get under the jeep to see what the damage was (knowing it was probably something with the driveshaft) and this is what I find...
iy0dwh.jpg
4vsnx3.jpg
2ypit1g.jpg

NOT cool.Luckily my chain had not completely fallen off so I was able to limp at 5mph to the next exit.

I checked my U-joints in both front and rear shafts and they were tight, and no vibrations like this had ever happened before so I still cannot guess as to what caused this catastrophic failure.

So if any of you are driving east down NY-17 near exit 84 watch out for all of the Aluminum from my T-case in the road

P.S. Does any one have an extra NP-231 sitting around or know someone who is parting a jeep out near Orange County NY? If so, drop me a PM because I pretty sure this one is not going to work so well anymore.:rolleyes:

JB Weld will be fine for that. Buy a couple of packages so you have enough. :D

any idea what the initial cause of the grenade was? I had that happen this past october with the same thing, the u-joints were all in good shape and the tranny and engine mounts are all fine. I replaced my t-case with from a u-pull it place (btw, it was only about $55) but again feel some vibes (maybe from the front end). The ball joints and wheel bearings all appear to be fine as is the track bar. I was thinking that maybe the t-case itself was shot? Loose chain? Might it be time to tear this one that I've got apart and pm it?

Where is the chain?

in the pics it looks missing

I'm not expert but I did stay at a holiday inn last nite

I would say the chain let loose and took everything else with it

Unearthed said:
Luckily my chain had not completely fallen off so I was able to limp at 5mph to the next exit.

well, I know it was on for a little bit because I was still able to drive for about a mile with the rear wheels, and it must have fallen off somewhere in that last mile... thanks for the suggestion though

The chain just connects the gear that is inline with the rear drive shaft to the front gear that connects to the front driveshaft in order to make it 4x4 right? So that means it would be rearwheel drive only with no chain right??? Correct me if im wrong I just wanted to look smart

check to se if a weight fell of the drive shaft throwign it out of balence causeing it to viberate the t-case apart
idk how possable that is but i guesss ther is a slight chance

and i have a np231 for sale actully but i'm in northeast pa too so idk if u would wnat to travel that far for it

MTBracer367 said:
check to se if a weight fell of the drive shaft throwign it out of balence causeing it to viberate the t-case apart
idk how possable that is but i guesss ther is a slight chance

and i have a np231 for sale actully but i'm in northeast pa too so idk if u would wnat to travel that far for it
I don't think a missing shaft weight is going to cause THAT much damage. It may vibrate a little, but the shaft would have to be oscillating about 1/2 out of round to cause something like that to happen :looney:

Captain Ruggy said:
When was the last time you checked the fluid level in your t case?
Thats kinda what I was thinking,everything looks extremely "dry and worn".

I was thinking the same thing looking at the pics. I would expect to see alot more red mess on the underside and especially inside the case. I dont see anything red and dripping inside the case.

sheeks175 said:
The chain just connects the gear that is inline with the rear drive shaft to the front gear that connects to the front driveshaft in order to make it 4x4 right? So that means it would be rearwheel drive only with no chain right??? Correct me if im wrong I just wanted to look smart

Yep, without the chain you still have rear wheel drive.

Back