• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounts for a tj bumper

dbswede

NAXJA Member # 1516
I know some of you guys spend time on other boards...could some of you guide me to some links on rear bumper builds for tj's...specifically the way they mount to the frame as the stock mounting points look pretty weak.
Thanks
dbswede

Use the factory mounts with backing plates(1/4" thick steel amgle) that also bolt to the frame. there are also two bolts that tie in to th bottom of the frame.

That stamped sheetmetal piece the rear bumper bolts to is actually the rearmost frame crossmember. The angled braces rogersjeep refers to add about 1/4" of steel to the side of the frame and to the rear crossmember at the bolt holes. If you manage to pull this off, your bigger problem is that you just ripped the rear tub mounts off, and trashed the frame.

On a plus note, you could(if you feel like it!) disconnect the front axle bolts, lift the TJ up off it, and set an Xj body in its place. (TJ may now be discarded)

this is how i did mine

100_2598.jpg
[/IMG]

100_2597.jpg

And I haven't even riped off the body mount yet.

Back