• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshafts for the 9"

whitneyj

NAXJA Forum User
for those of you that swapped a ford 9" in the rear what did you do about your driveshafts? I searched a little and didn't really dig anything useful up. I'm playing with a couple different ideas, but would like some input before I get a crazy.

1. Have new shaft built
2. Extend/shorten current shaft

Whats the problem?

If you stick with 1310 joint you can extend or shorten an XJ front shaft to work, assuming you have a SYE.

If it is going to be a daily driver, save yourself the headaches and have a new shaft made and balanced.

I'll make my own driveshaft, not worried about that, just curious as to what people do about their ujoints.

some 9"ers come with 1310 yokes and some come with 1330 yokes. Just make sure yours is a 1310 and shorten or extend your shaft. I ran 1310's for 2 years with 37" boggers. Make sure you use a traction bar or axle wrap can kill your yoke.

It's not a 9" but for my 14bolt i used a Ford Superduty Front. It is a 1350 CV,I have 32 spline outputs on my case so I just ordered ford flanges from Tom Woods. I did have to clearence the CV head quite a bit to get 30 degrees of drop without bind.

on my 44/14b swap i used a 1310-1330 conversion joint for the front at the axle side of the shaft and a 1310-1350 conversion joint in the rear at the axle end and extended the shafts myself, not the best way to do it but definately the cheapest. i just carry spare joints in the glove box, no problems so far.

Back