• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE Question????

philagony94xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just recieved my Porc SYE kit today and it came all battered up and ripped and bruised. Luckily no parts were missing or damaged (i hope).

My Question is do i REALLY have to remove the whole T-case out of the truck or can i just take the rear half apart and do it while its jacked up?

BTW i did search and didnt see the answer i was looking for.

Also its a 94 231 case. And i do have a front D.S. waiting to go in.

Oh and what bolts did everyone use to bolt the D.C. joint up to the new yoke? the stock front bolts from the donor vehicle?

Any info would be appreciated guys! Thanks.

I have off next week and i am planning on doing this before i take a trip so if anyone is in the area of Schereville, IN and wouldnt mind offering some pointers I would wouldnt refuse.

Well I just did my SYE in my 91 and had left the case in when I did it. Honestly if you don't want to pull out your t case which some will argue isn't a big deal which it's not, then by all means. I left mine in while I did it. Had no problems at all, just clean up the outside of the case and keep track of how things come apart and you'll be fine. Clean the bolts, use lock tite when reinstalling them. Make sure the oil pump pickup screen is clean and check the o ring on the pump. If you have to trim your mode shaft then make sure you take a little more than an inch. It says to trim it down to that but a little less won't hurt. Follow the instructions and it's really easy.. The best thing to get is a good set of snap ring plyers and you'll be a happier person.. Good luck..

I did mine without removing it's just less comfortable to work on

Awesome! I was really hoping NOT to pull it, but i could if i have too. As for the snap ring pliers, i work at a Dealership and the Matco guy comes Friday so i think between work and the tool guy i can come up with a good set.

I have read that its not that hard to do, and by the reading i've done, it seems that not that many people have problems at all except for those dang snap rings. So this kind of eases my mind going into this.

Thanks for the experienced knowledge guys!

Take it out and do it it doesnt take much eaxtra time just a PITA to get the bolts i used a short 9/16 open end. the job may go faster because the job goes smoother out of the car. i was so glad i wasnt hunched over onder my jeep and it is alot easier to inspect the t-case guts. also to seal it back up w/o leaks its only like 6 extra bolts if i had to do this job again it is no doubt coming out of the car but then again i never did it still in the truck

I've done one installed and two others on the bench. The time it took to remove the whole case so I could do the installs on the bench was worth it.

Would those of you that have said removing the t-case is easier change your mind if you had a two post lift with the vehicle in the air? That way the t-case would be at eye level. I'm sure that trying to install the SYE would be much more difficult on your back in a driveway.

I'm fixing to tackle this job and it sure would be nice to install it while in the Jeep. If it will still be a pain to install in the Jeep on a lift, I will go ahead and remove it.

PacificEd said:
1988 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 4.0, AW4, 242, D30/D35, stock for now

If your sig is correct, your question doesn't compute??? With a 242, you're either doing a Hack-n-Tap which is easier to do under the vehicle, Or you swapping in a different t-case which obviously involves removal of the t-case. ???

Either one of those option is much easier with acess to a shop with a hoist :)

Sorry about that. I am helping a friend install his AA kit on an '89 with a 231. We are going to tackle the job tomorrow. We are going to see how it goes and with two of us standing under the Jeep, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

I'm still trying to decide what to do about my 242 but that will come later.

The last one I did on the hoist was pretty easy. If I was laying on the ground I would pull the case again, but with a hoist I leave them in.
Just my .02.

sgtmack said:
The last one I did on the hoist was pretty easy. If I was laying on the ground I would pull the case again, but with a hoist I leave them in.
Just my .02.

Excellent! That is what we are about to do in a few hours.

I did mine with the T-case in the Jeep. I just had jack stands under the axles so that I could sit comfortably under the vehicle on my creeper. It was the fist time I've done one and it took me 4 or 5 hours.

Back