• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bleeding an ABS system that is disabled

rammie

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped axles from a ABS D35 to a 8.25 with no ABS. I need to bleed my brakes but is there a different procedure? Searching doesnt bring up a conclusive answer.

In my FSM there is a special procedure for ABS brakes (which invloves cycling with the ABS pump), in addition to the regular procedure for base brakes. Now that I have disabled my ABS (by pulling fuses and sensors) can it be bled normally with good results? Reading the other posts on this subject showed conflicting arguments...

Looking for definitive info and actual experience on this, thanks

Bleed them like you would a normal system.

You can bleed any ABS system as normal (all the systems I have seen anyway) - UNLESS you get air into the system above the ABS solenoids. They only need to be cycled if you get air into the system before the solenoids - cycling the solenoids helps to pump the air out.

the_weirdo said:
You can bleed any ABS system as normal (all the systems I have seen anyway) - UNLESS you get air into the system above the ABS solenoids. They only need to be cycled if you get air into the system before the solenoids - cycling the solenoids helps to pump the air out.

This is 100% true. If you replace the MC or any line BEFORE the ABS pump, you must cycle the ABS pump system and according to the FSM, this can only be done with a special computer setup at the dealer (or someone with the same system as the dealer). This is why I removed the ABS pump when I swapped axles.

Back