• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

16" wheels vs. 15

Daedalus454

NAXJA Forum User
I was checking out the TreadWright page today, and I saw that they are out of stock on all 33x12.5R15 tires, they estimate 5-7 weeks before any will be available, and they are recommending 285/75R16s instead.

Is this a reasonable substitution? I was considering running their tires on my rig, but if I have to buy a new set of 16" wheels to do so, that would offset the cheapness of the tires significantly. $424 shipped for 4 tires plus $200 for wheels = $624 and I've paid for a set of BFG ATs.

I'm thinking I may just pony up and get either BFG ATs or (if I feel like spending the big bucks) Toyo Open Country M/Ts.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I know the tire thing has been done to death, I have spent much time searching and reading old threads, but I did not find anything related to 15" wheels vs. 16".

You can't go wrong with BFG AT's. They work GOOD in all conditions. Are there better tires for certain conditions.....yes. But They last a long time and work good. I would just roll 15" BFG's

What kinda' sucks is that I have three different size wheel sets on all of my trucks. 15, 16 and 16.5, What I wish I had was all the same, but if I were to go that route I would have them all 17" wheels.
What I have noticed is that most new tires are released in the larger size first and then maybe the smaller sizes later. It certainly is due to the trend of new trucks coming with the larger wheel size.
So...to get to your question...
If you are to change out your wheels, spend some exta thought on what you may be doing with your rig in the future.
If you want 16" wheels you might just want to spend the time looking for a set of take offs from a new Rubicon. I have seen them for as little as $150 on Craigs List.
If you are asking a structural question...I dought if we are talking any strength issues.....

Back