• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Mileage

XJ_Muddin

NAXJA Forum User
SO gas prices as you all know are going up, every guy I talk to that has a lifted xj gets alot better gas mileage then me what can I do to help this. Right now I have edge performance kit and the live wire upgrade for my plugs, I am working with a 6 in lift with 33 by 12.50. and I am getting 10.5 mpg all the guys I talk to are getting like 15 mpg and above.

1998 4.5" lift 32x10.5x15, 3.55 gears, same gas milage, about 210 miles per tank. I'm going to the 4.56 as soon as I can.

If your adjusting for mpg, yes, if you want it to read correct on the speedometer get a new speedo gear. Less than $30 and very easy to install, especially on a lifted XJ. 15 minutes to swap.

I'm getting ready to regear my rig, I did the equation in the FAQs, and per that I should go with 4.11. I haven't been able to find 4.11 for the 8.25 so I was going to go with 4.56. Is this still going to help? Or by going to to low is it going to hinder? THX

I'm and idiot, there are 4.11 but would the 4.56 help or hurt?

Last edited:
Thanks guys I really appreciate it alot so I should go with 4.56 gears front and back or just back I dont know anyhting about gearing so all the help I could get would be great.

fscrig75 said:
I'm getting ready to regear my rig, I did the equation in the FAQs, and per that I should go with 4.11. I haven't been able to find 4.11 for the 8.25 so I was going to go with 4.56. Is this still going to help? Or by going to to low is it going to hinder? THX

I'm and idiot, there are 4.11 but would the 4.56 help or hurt?

There are 4.10's for the 8.25, which is the same thing.

What size tires? If you have 31's and are never going bigger, 4.10's will be fine. If you have 32's+ or plan on going bigger, go with 4.56.

Thanks guys I really appreciate it alot so I should go with 4.56 gears front and back or just back I dont know anyhting about gearing so all the help I could get would be great

They both have to be changed, and they both have to be the same. Same ratio, but the right ring and pinion for your differential.

If you haven't already done so get a build sheet for your XJ. You can request it via the Chrysler web site. The build sheet will tell you what your XJ had from the factory. There are other ways to tell but this is free and very good information to have.

The higher the ratio the more gas you'll save! If you can get into a negative ratio, the gas will actually "appear" in your tank! ;)

Last edited:
WITH OVERSIZED TIRES TRY RECALCULATING YOUR MILEAGE SINCE YOU ODOMETER IS READING SLOW

I did the recalculating and its the same but thanks anyways, so then with the 4.56 gears do I ahve to switch out axels or anyhting like that, what I am getting at is what else do I need to chang ewith the 4.56 gear install.

XJ_Muddin said:
I did the recalculating and its the same but thanks anyways, so then with the 4.56 gears do I ahve to switch out axels or anyhting like that, what I am getting at is what else do I need to chang ewith the 4.56 gear install.

If your question is that general, you want to save money and pay a professional to change your gears. Its not an amateurs job; in fact, its the one thing most of us "do EVERYTHING yourself" people pay someone else to do - myself included.

I was just wondering so that when i did take it to a shop and they were like well you need this and that along with the gears and I really dont need any of that, I just dont want to get ripped off you know.

XJ_Muddin said:
I was just wondering so that when i did take it to a shop and they were like well you need this and that along with the gears and I really dont need any of that, I just dont want to get ripped off you know.

You will need gears, a master install kit, and a carrier, for each axle (plus labor).

What rea raxle do you have? You may find it in your best interest to upgrade that BEFORE paying to have gears installed.

AT A SHOP $300 REAR AND $350 FRT IS ABOUT THE GOING RATE IN LABOR, WITH THE GEARS I WOULD RECOMMEND A REBUILT KIT MAYBE LOCKER SINCE IT DOESNT COST EXTRA TO INSTALL. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A CHEAP DYI PROJECT FIND AN OLD 4CY 5 SP XJ WITH 4.10S AND JUST SWAP THE AXLES. I KNOW ITS NOT 4.56 BUT IT IS CHEAP AND A NICE SUNDAY PROJECT.

tiremike said:
AT A SHOP $300 REAR AND $350 FRT IS ABOUT THE GOING RATE IN LABOR, WITH THE GEARS I WOULD RECOMMEND A REBUILT KIT MAYBE LOCKER SINCE IT DOESNT COST EXTRA TO INSTALL. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A CHEAP DYI PROJECT FIND AN OLD 4CY 5 SP XJ WITH 4.10S AND JUST SWAP THE AXLES. I KNOW ITS NOT 4.56 BUT IT IS CHEAP AND A NICE SUNDAY PROJECT.

Or an old 4 cyl auto with 4.56's.

Either way you end up with axles that have 20 year old bearings and a dana 35. Not the best route.

muckleroy said:
They both have to be changed, and they both have to be the same. Same ratio, but the right ring and pinion for your differential.

If you haven't already done so get a build sheet for your XJ. You can request it via the Chrysler web site. The build sheet will tell you what your XJ had from the factory. There are other ways to tell but this is free and very good information to have.

The higher the ratio the more gas you'll save! If you can get into a negative ratio, the gas will actually "appear" in your tank! ;)

I tried the other week to get the build sheet via the website, got a nice email saying due to security reasons..... blah blah blah. easier just to go to the local dealer

I was going to go w/ 4.56 eventually I want to go up to 32s, I've got 31s now.

Do you know what axles you have now?

If you don't, snap a couple pictures and post them.

3 weeks ago I changed to 4.56 gears. I also changed the speedo gear to compinsate .I am getting 17-18 mpg. I have 33-12.50's and 5 inch lift. the gears made a huge difference in torque and drivability. I highly recommend doing the gear change with 33's. also my friend works at a speedo calibration shop and my speedo is within 1-2 mph.

Back