• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plug on tail cone for SYE

Renegade

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering what you all did about the plug on the tail shaft below the speedo gear, mine is leaking a bit and the directions for the Advance Adapters said wranglers should plug the hole but what about cherokees. Should i ditch the plastic washer?

Thanks guys
Josh
000_0129.jpg

i struggled with this for over a year. After over tightening the bolt once, I stripped the threads in the new housing that came with the SYE kit. had to buy a new one. I finally pulled the bolt out and coated the threads with RTV and snugged it up. About the same time I found that in one of my attempts to reinstall the speedo gear, i sliced the O-ring in half and that was actually the source of the slow drip. The ATF fluid ran down the housing and pooled at the bottom of that plug leading me to believe that the plug was the leaky part.

Might want to check your o-ring. 3 bucks from the dealer. if not, try the RTV on the plug.

Ok cool thanks for the replys, yeah im gonna check that speedo gear, and or put some RTV on those threads... in the directions its almost like it said not to even put the plug on... wierd.

BTW, this sye is awesome, no more vibes, should have done it a while ago.

hate to bring up a dead thread but mine is doing the same thing. i may have stripped the nut but it doesnt look like it b/c it was doing it before i tightened it. i tried plumbers tape 3 different times and it still dripped. i guess i'll check the speedo gear next. the same RTV you use to seal the tcase or like threadlocker?

Last edited:
I actually e-mailed Red Rock 4x4 where i got the SYE and Jason said that he has been getting lots recent complaints about this. He said he is sending me a different gasket for that plug and that any gasket for the oil pan drain plug would work... I tried RTV and it still didnt work...

so if nothing has worked do you think a new gasket will work? let me know how it works for you and maybe i'll look into the same thing. the guy i bought the sye from has vanished so no luck with that.

Yeah RTV and gasket should work, but... i found my o ring for the speedo gear is trashed. I went to check it and it broke into a bunch of pieces... gotta go to the dealer..... anyone know if i can run without it for a little while?

Renegade said:
Yeah RTV and gasket should work, but... i found my o ring for the speedo gear is trashed. I went to check it and it broke into a bunch of pieces... gotta go to the dealer..... anyone know if i can run without it for a little while?

You don't need to go to the dealer to get an "O" ring. Most hardwares will have an assortment of "O" rings, just take your speedo housing with you and find one that fits. The "O" ring that is used from the factory is just a "butyl rubber" which is just a basic "O" ring. Lube the ring with vaseline before you install it or if you can find some DOW 55 "O" ring lubricant then use some of that.

"O" rings are measured by 3 dimensions, I.D., O.D., and the thickness of the rubber itself.

Back