• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission vent?

finn188

NAXJA Forum User
my trans vent is hanging down from under my jeep and im assuming theres a better place for it than that. so where does it go? is there suposed to be a filter on the end? i just wraped some foam around it and sprayed k and n oil on it . thanks

finn188 said:
my trans vent is hanging down from under my jeep and im assuming theres a better place for it than that. so where does it go? is there suposed to be a filter on the end? i just wraped some foam around it and sprayed k and n oil on it . thanks

IIRC it by factory goes up by the transmission dipstick tube around the distributor area. It has a plastic cap on it. Most people extend the line to be above the engine, and put a cheap filter on it.

yes it will suck in dirt and water....on my 89 the vent went up behind the head ontop of the bellhousing.I have since extended all my vents into my airbox.

finn188 said:
do you think i hurt anything with it being mounted low? it was uncovered for a short time too. does it suck in dirt? thanks
As Outlander said it will suck up dirt and everything else. Its even more critical to have it up high if you go through water. Since yours is down low, a puddle of water could make water get sucked into your tranny which isnt good.

seems like being run to the air box would cause too much vacuume? or is that only after the throttle plate? good idea though, i might have to do that.

finn188 said:
seems like being run to the air box would cause too much vacuume? or is that only after the throttle plate? good idea though, i might have to do that.

I'm not sure if he ment airbox (filter housing) or cowl (HVAC air intake), but I ran all of mine into the cowl and have had no problems-- except on hot days the vents blow air that smells a little like axle lube. yummy, yummy!

Anyone have a pic of what in the world you're talking about....I'm drawing a blank here...? (yes, that is a common occurance, I know...its all the fumes from us burning everything over here....)

They are ran into the AIRBOX...I'll get some pics.Initially I was worried about the chance of fluid being drawn out of the vents and into the airbox because of the vacuum in there but I've been running it like this for months now without even a drop inside the airbox....seems like the airbox has enough air volume in it so the vacuum isn't that strong.I drilled holes in the side of the lid and used aircompressor quick connect nipples that thread into the lid.I put them into the lid after(above) the filter to lessen the chance of dirt getting into the vents because the air is filtered/clean.

Last edited:
Back