• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 hinge pin size

Hoss in IL

NAXJA Forum User
I took my doors off the other day and bought some of the 5/16 hitch pins that have been suggested for putting the doors back on. I didn't try them yet but did notice that the 5/16 pins were quite a bit smaller than the hole in the hinge. My question is- has anyone measured the acutal diameter of the original pin and used a lathe to turn something down just a tad smaller than the original or does everybody just use the 5/16 pin and not worry about the play in it?

Hope that makes sense.
Thank you, Hoss

theres also a small sleave in the hinge part that is connected to the jeep. the doors are going to be off a little but its livable. did mine on my 98 also. but its been raining off and on here so i havent made and mods yet.

I just took my doors off (99) this weekend and for now am using cut down 5/16" bolts. They are sagging, enough so that I have to pick them up to close them. If I remember correctly, I recently read that M10 bolts will do the job just fine. I knocked all of the bushings out of my hinges because they were all half trashed anyway.

Thanks guys, my bushings were junked too. I guess I'll rat around and see what else I can come up with.

Deftwill, I think it was XJfanatic's write up that said to shim the bottom part of the hinges to take care of the sag.

Take care, Hoss

Why not just use the factor pins? I cut mine at a bevel and made the bottom one a little longer than the top one to make it easier to pop them back on...

Before cleaning up with grinder

door7.jpg

well, at this point, my bushings have been trashed. Even the stock pins now wouldn't fit properly.

Back