• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Towing Hitch Advice - 2000 XJ

dumbagain

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to add a hitch to my '00 xj in order to tow a small boat or jetski.
class 3 i believe.

do you guys recommend a certain brand?

on the later models somesaid i'd need to drop the exhaust to install a bolt on hitch?

any advice?

Hidden Hitch, Draw tite, and Valley are ones that work well on the Cherokee. GOOGLE for install instructions, one of the manufacturers has a file you can view with instructions and a parts list.

Use the NAXJA ADVANCED SEARCH this topic has been covered before.

not sure about other brands, but if you like the clearance you currently have, do not buy a reese hitch. This thing hangs way too low. If you dont mind then go for it. Easy install. Oh and the only thing you have to regarding exhaust, is unbolt the heat shield's two rear bolts from the "frame" and slide the hitch into place and bolt it in on that side.

I have a Reese on mine from the previous owners, Class III 5000#

I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but all the bolts are tight and it is ready to use....

OEM here. Towed a lot with it and have used it as a recovery point a few times. I like things that get used for more then one thing.

check this site out, it's a local company, however I think they supply all over...

www.rigidhitch.com - plus they offer installation instructions online-at least you can get some information about how it installs (or hitch installation on a cherokee)

Check out www.etrailer.com they've got a video on a 97 hitch installation on the site

Last edited:
Georgia Mike said:
Definately go with an OEM hitch if you can find one. They tie in to more of the frame rail than any aftermarket hitch I've seen.

YUP ^^^^^^^ agree with this completely
I have used mine to tow my pop up camper a few times with no problems and I towed a HUGE flatbed wooded utility trailer over the winter to hual a replacement cab for my S10 project. the trailer itself was probably 1500-2000 lbs by itself which is the max for the 5spd XJ's anyway. it really sucked but I had no problems with the hitch at all

I also use mine for a recovery point when wheeling.
the only down side I can think of with the factory hitch is the decrease in departure angle.
I am on a 2" BB and I drag the hitch ALL THE TIME!!!! I have slid off a hill with the rear wheels OFF THE GROUND just sliding on the hitch but it works just fine no problems and VERY STRONG and STURDY. the only weak part of the OEM hitch is the small sheet metal box next to the receiver which houses the trailer wiring plug. its only a matter of time before I either rip it off wheeling or I relocate it. EVERY TIME I wheel I end up having to bend it back down because it gets bent up into the bumper. very poor design if you wheel at all, but easily overcome with some minor modding. could easily be cut off and rewelded to the side of the hitch. only reason I havent done this is because I cant weld

You may want to assure yourself that whatever hitch you get, it is compatable with whatever gas tank skid you might also consider installing at some point. IIRC, the uhaul hitch is a bit narrow and may not work with some gt skids. My Curt hitch works fine with my tomken skid, I can tell you that for sure.

Definitely go for the nut strips if you EVER plan on taking the hitch off. Using the wire fishing methos works for installation, but if they get rusted and start to spin, it's a PITA.

My Hidden Hitch fit perfectly with my DPG Gas Tank Skid and my Detours Tailbone tire carrier. You should already have the passenger nutstrip, Dirk at DPG includes the other nut strip when you buy the skid!

DSC_9420.jpg

Back