• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anything strange about the early XJ dana 30's?

CRJeepin

NAXJA Forum User
Have an '88 limited without the vac. disconnect and need new stub shafts because the stockers have bad corrosion at the end of them and I don't trust them enough to re-use:

img2136mediumbz0.jpg

img2137mediumfc9.jpg

I found a set of alloy usa dana 30/44 27-spline stub shafts on JU at a decent price, and am hoping they would work but am not clear on the differences between my axle and the later dana 30's (specifically u-joint size).

Any comments or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!
CR

The earlier version D30 axles had 260 U joints and the ones you are referencing have 297 U joints with full circle clips.... MUCH stronger setup !!
The full circle clips support the U joint cups 360* around while the stock circle clips support the U joint cups 270* at best....
If you were to install these axles... you will need to install a different axle seal on the disconnect side which can be purchased thru the QuadraTec website (available thru many sources...).
You can remove and cap off the vacuum lines for the disconnect leaving you with a stronger front axle setup. This allows both front axles to turn the carrier while driving. You will have the same setup as the XJs after 1990. The transfercase in 2WD disconnects the front and rear driveshafts internally....

Thanks for the info.

The axles I've found are just the OUTER stub shafts, not the entire shaft. Can I use the newer stub shaft with the older inner shaft?

I don't have a disconnect axle, the Limiteds don't have 'em since they come with the np242 select-trac transfer case.

So it sounds like I just need to find out if that stock inner will work with the newer outer...

That makes sense, thanks for confirming! Think I'm going to try to find a set of junkyard dana 30 shafts from a newer XJ....did you say 1990 was the changeover year?

The TJ axles can be used also...., but I would stick with the XJs....
Certain years with certain combinations; had the larger U joints.....
You can use axles from XJs after 1995 IIRC....
Do a SEARCH on this forum to confirm which years....

If you have an old 260 U joint cup; you can bring that with you as a reference to compare against....

Last edited:
any xj with ABS will have the larger/stronger u joint and all 95 and up will as well.

Back