• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loud whining sound coming from front driver side

ninobrn99

NAXJA Forum User
It only happens sometimes, but its when in drive and moving foward. I notice it when I accelerate. I first though it was the belt, but it sorta sounds like the front wheel isnt turning as fast as the rim and its squeeling. Tire pressure is 35psi. Any other things I should check or anyone know of this problem? I think it started happening after the new rims and tires were installed. Its only on the left driver side though.

My belt does that sometimes if I have the A/C on. I just turn it off and back on and the squealling stops. It happens more when it is wet out.

Might want to check the hub bearing on the left side.... If the new rims have a different offset than the originals....; they could place a different load on the unit bearing causing this noise. The unit bearing might be on its way out....
To check this.....; jack up the vehicle and spin the rim to check for the noise you are hearing....

My money is on the unit bearing. The belt would sound, well,.... like a belt, not growling like a bear caught in the wheel.

ill get it up on a 4 post in the next couple of days. My jack and stands arent high enough to get the jeep off the ground. also, it starts out slow when i start from a stop and then gets a bit louder the faster im moving, but then stops. it usually only lasts for a few seconds driving straight, right and left.

Last edited:
well i got it on a lift today. I spun it around with it all the way left, front, and right and couldn't mimic the whine. I took it off and checked to see if there were any rub marks on the tire front he inside or in the fender well and to just sping the rotor. Nothing. I spun it a lot too! My CA and swaybar bushings all need to be changed out though.

i think it is turning out to be the compressor. I turned the a/c on this past weekend while waiting at Mcdonalds for my coffee and it started happening. I shut it off, it went away, turned it on, came back.

ninobrn99 said:
i think it is turning out to be the compressor. I turned the a/c on this past weekend while waiting at Mcdonalds for my coffee and it started happening. I shut it off, it went away, turned it on, came back.

Is it the compressor or lose belt? Mine does the same thing. Tighten the belt and it will stop.

I need to get one of those v-belt tensioner gauges.

My past experiences on my '98 regarding "loud whining" from the front:

Bad power steering pump at about 98k. Sounded like a turbo-whine. Replace ps pump and noise went away.....

Bad idler pulley at 127k. Sounded more like a constant screeching more than a whine. Tried tightening serpentine belt, but noise presisted. Replaced idler pulley and noise went away....

Good luck...

before you start buying expensive pieces you could just try a new belt, cheap and needs replacing often enough anyway.
other than that, although it could be your ac or ps pump, it would still be the unit hub/bearings that you looked at. keep in mind you heard the noise on the road with all the weight on the tires, as opposed to trying to mimic the sound while they were in the air on jacks. if you can again, try "wobbling the tires" if you can. by that I mean move them other than how they normally roll, side to side, up n down to watch for play. I just replaced mine and when I checked the one, it had nearly 1/4" of play from the top to bottom of 33" tires. obviously with the tires on you can see more actual play, but once you have the bearings off and compare to new ones you'll understand better.

if it is the ps pump, you could try a fluid flush to see if that gets rid of the sound temporarily, as for ac, no idea other than replacing.

if it were the bearings, would it happen parked? I wouldnt think so. The belt is brand new and maybe a month old. It was happening before I replaced it. I supposed I could just replace them to do it, but I dont think thats the problem.

I know my power steering pump makes a slight noise, and the idler pulley was bad but it wasn't cause a noise. My noise is the belt squeaking. I made it a lot tighter than I thought it should be and it still squeaks.

Get some belt dressing spray (STP) and spray it on the belt while the squeaking is happening. WD40 works for this test but I've read this is a bad thing to put on your belt.

The squeaking will lessen and stop within a few seconds of spraying.

It will come back as moisture in the air, and on the parts collects...

The belt squeak is a HELL of a noise.

ninobrn99 said:
so yours isnt fixed then?

Me? I just turn off the A/C and turn it back on and squeaking stops.

I'm afraid to tighted it up to much. I wore out the bearing on a water pump having it too tight before.

Back