• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T-Case linkage adjustment problems

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm trying to adjust the transfer case linkage on an 88 MJ. I have followed all procedures that instruct you to loosen the trunnion screw, put the transfer case in 4lo, and then tighten the trunnion screw. This has gotten me to where I have 4hi N and 4lo, but I don't seem to be able to get it back into 2hi this way. It just hits the end of the shift gate when I try to get it into 2wd. So can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? No transfer case drop and the transmission mount is good FWIW. Someone please help if they've heard of this before.
Thanks,
Collin

I ended up replacing the bushings,pretty cheap from jeep, I think 20 bucks for all of them, was still alittle loose, had too grind the front of the shift gate a bit to get 2wd and 4 lo. did you use a measured shim when setting it up??

bcmaxx said:
did you use a measured shim when setting it up??
No, I was confused on where they were instructing me to put that. I may replace the bushings too, that sounds like a good idea.

I put a penny between the shift lever and the rear of the guide bracket (for lack of a better term). Let's see if I can explain it better... I pulled the shift lever all the way back (with the plastic cover removed on the center console of course) once it was all the way back I put a penny there to move it forward approximately 1/8". Then I did the trunnion thing as you describe above. Worked for my 92 with a NP-231.

Back