• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finishing square tubing ends?

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building a roof rack out of 3/4 square tubing and I want to finish the open ends of tubing that are exposed. Does anyone know where you can buy the plastic caps that go into the ends of tubes to give them a finished look?

I didn't think they would be in just any ole hardware store - I'll have a look. I just with there was a home depot close by :( I hear they have everything....

what about just welding a piece of steel over the open end in place of the plastic caps which can dry rot and fall out?

I thought of that but a whole bunch of things are against me....

1. My welding pretty much sucks
2. It is thin steel
3. My welding thin steel sucks more than my general welding
4. It would take a whole bunch of time that I don't have available right now.
5. I have this idea that if I just plug them for now with caps, it leaves the door open to using them as sort of receivers in future for add on lights, sirens, antenna mounts, etc....

I tried this many years ago when I was building racks and stuff for customers. I bought a big bag of 3/4" and 1" plastic endcaps from McMaster Carr but I didn't like the way they looked and they always seem to work their way out.

Something that I found the other day is these... Looks pretty cool but would require welding.

They are found under the tabs section of this site...

aa-089b2.jpg

They offer them in different sizes, square, round, rectangular. Pretty cheap but like I said they would require a little bit of welding.

lapisxj said:
I tried this many years ago when I was building racks and stuff for customers. I bought a big bag of 3/4" and 1" plastic endcaps from McMaster Carr but I didn't like the way they looked and they always seem to work their way out.

Something that I found the other day is these... Looks pretty cool but would require welding.

They are found under the tabs section of this site...

For metal end caps try

www.kingmetals.com

or

http://www.rbwagner.com/pages/Rbwagner.html

most architectural/ornamental metal supply or fabricators should have them. Just from experience with a push on caps use some silicon to hold them in they usually dont stay on

Back