• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Expressway Rece for DNR-

IXNAYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Here are my pics from the 10May08 Expressway scouting trip and trail clean-up the NWC did at Walker Valley ORV park. The day started a little rough for me, with some sort of stomach bug causing me to be late to pick up Ba-Riedo. Then Ba-Riedo's dad, Dr. Riedo (Alex's dad is a doc), saw me puking in his wife's garden and came out to see if he could help. After a 15 minute physical (no gloves were involved) we were off with a prescription of ginger ale.

Anyway, we finally caught up with the main force just a little ways up Expressway. As we prepared to move further on down the trail, Mc2KXJ's rig wouldn't start, and none of the usual suspects seemed to be the issue. Here he is doffing his hat in penance for holding the group up:

CIMG5485.jpg

CIMG5486.jpg

Using some of the fallen branches and timber to shore up drainage issues:

CIMG5488.jpg

CIMG5491.jpg

Some minor trail repair on the Subota was underway once we got to the Rockface:

CIMG5496.jpg

The "bypass"

CIMG5504.jpg

CIMG5501.jpg

It's basically not impossible by 4x4s...and even the Quad guys had their issues:

CIMG5507.jpg

Though I didn't catch it on camera, this 4x4 Quad rider actually flopped his off to the right after getting past the tree.

CIMG5511.jpg

Illustrating the need for a bypass, most rigs had a lot of trouble making it up the old bypass:

CIMG5512.jpg

CIMG5519.jpg

CIMG5524.jpg

CIMG5527.jpg

Even Michael got a little crossed up and needed a few tries to make it up:

CIMG5544.jpg

-----Matt-----

CIMG5549.jpg

Rich was able to slither and spin his way up, with only a small dent as a momento:

CIMG5551.jpg

Doug took and 'alternate line' and drove UP the left bank rather than the rocks:

CIMG5553.jpg

Further up the trail, we found the conditions to be muddy, but pretty decent. Not really much to worry about above the rock pile. As the weather improves, so shall the trail. One cool little section:

CIMG5555.jpg

After a couple tries, Doug powered through also:

CIMG5561.jpg

DravisAR said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cN8cFVhYkA

The yota trying to make it up the hard line of the rockface.

Pretty freaking sick, considering what he had!

(I'm an ex-yota guy...to shame)

Was great fun to watch.

Pretty tough to crawl that obsstacle. It took a bit of momentum and just the right line the last time I got up it. I still haven't been able to give it a legit try in the XJ, that stupid front Ox refuses to engage once I'm already on a steep hill. I think I've figured it out though, I need to engage it on relatively flat ground and spin the tires a little to allow the teeth to engage prior to getting on the obstacle. We had fun watching you guys, though.

Matt, you got some great photos!!! Those came out great and really show how tight some of those sections were and how much flex I have. I got a chubby looking at em.

Rich

Michael and I were at the DNR meeting of the Walker Advisory Board last night. There's a lot of stuff going on that all sounded truly positive. The biggest point I got out of it was that they get funding based on the matching effort from the community. Our volunteer time boosts their chances of getting funds. So if you are out there doing any thing from picking up garbage to working on building a new trail be sure to get your time logged with one of the clubs.

That's right, he did pinch a jewel getting in "Dukes of Hazzard" style. He laid there and winced for a full minute. I felt bad for him while laughing.:D

DravisAR said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cN8cFVhYkA

The yota trying to make it up the hard line of the rockface.

Pretty freaking sick, considering what he had!

(I'm an ex-yota guy...to shame)

Was great fun to watch.
Too bad you weren't there earlier, I crawled right thru the line between the rock and the stump 1st attempt and then up...I'm never in the right place at the right time when there's video rollin:( Nice vid though DravisAR:cool:

Ba-Riedo said:
What Rich said about 10 seconds later: "I think I sat on one of my nuts.":roflmao:

-Alex

Looks like I got a little captain in me.:shhh:

Back