• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main Seal...I Hope I`m Right..

Fairmonco

NAXJA Forum User
Ok,so my rear main seal let go on the way to the Cliffs last Sunday.I just now pulled it in the garage in anticipation for the fixing part of it.

I assumed I would have to pull the trans out....but now after reading up on the subject,it looks like I can get away with just dropping the pan,is this true???

Yeah just drop the pan. If you're lifted, it will be easier. I'm at 3" and took out the starter and the steering stabilizer.

8Mud said:
Just is a four letter word. :)

No kidding!! It took me longer to drop the pan and clean all of the gasket material off than it did to complete the rest of the job, including cleanup.

Make sure too that you at least check the oil filter adapter for leaks (O-rings), because it's a common source of leaks that look like a bad rear seal, and in my experience, rear seals are less likely to "let go" in a hurry than those O-rings are.

Make sure you have another person there so one can push the seal into place while the other turns crank..makes things a lot easier. If you have a lift, the oil pan should come down rather easy.

Allow me to just add that all of the above responses are predicated on your having a 4.0L 6-cyl engine. Your profile doesn't say. The 4-cyl engine uses a one-piece RMS that does require pulling the tranny to replace.

I have an 85 4cyl with an auto tranny, I assume that I have to pull the tranny to do the rear main. :(
I will also doublecheck the oil filter for leaks before starting anything.

The 4.0L 2-piece seal is nice & easy to change on a lifted XJ, sucks that it won't be so easy on the 4cyl.

Make sure too that you at least check the oil filter adapter for leaks (O-rings), because it's a common source of leaks that look like a bad rear seal, and in my experience, rear seals are less likely to "let go" in a hurry than those O-rings are.

The o-rings are such a common replacement item at the dealership, the local guys just keep them at the counter. Before I even finished tellin the guy what I wanted he had them on the counter and had given me the price...

Back