• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no bu5 or no bus & no start 2001 cherokee

Woodsman

NAXJA Forum User
I just fixed this and I thought I would share what I did.

There are various posts on this.

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee classic.

With no warning, went to start it up and the power on everything came on but the odom did no register anything all stayed at 0 and the engine would not crank. Waited an minute and the check engine light came on and no bu5 or no bus showed up where the mileage does.

On the drivers side on the transmission housing there are 2 black snap connect harnesses one of these is the crankshaft position sensor (check to autozone website for what this looks like , find it and follow it down to the snap connect). Unhook it, then turn the key again and see if your gauges come on, mine did after I disconnected it.

The cps is located near the top of the transmission bell housing set to the drivers side slightly and is difficult to get to but the intermost to the center on vehicle can be reached with a box head wrench (angle box head might've helped) and the outer lower can be accesed from below with an 11 mm rachet with at least a six inch extension or more. Only 2 bolts hold it in place. Took me about an hour to replace due to the difficult access to the part and my limited tools. After I replaced it the check engine light stayed on for my quick test ride down the road, turned it off and on a few times and it reset i guess and has not come back on.

The part will run you from $75 to $85, most will not have it in stock but can get it quickly or if you know where the distribution house is go there they should have it.

Back