• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

popping noise

HogWash

NAXJA Forum User
I have a popping noise that comes from the front of the jeep im not sure what it is.When I take off from dead stop(not in 4wd,normal conditions).Heres the story behind it.I knew I had a slow leak it the front diff.I let it run low and forgot about it cause there was no more fluid leaking on the ground.Now I filled it and theres nothing leaking.This doesnt make sense to me.Its a hp dana 30(factory ,havent touched it,besides the fluid back in it)Any ideas???Also have a sqeaking noise in front left side,checked for debris and nothing.Thought it could be my clip but still nothing,still does it???

how far forward is the noise coming from? there was a thread on here recently about a mystery noise similar to yours, and I believe there was a reply saying the slip-yoke needed to be re-lubricated. if you can feel the "pop" on the floor, then that's a good chance of being it.

Its more towards the front,I know its the front diff and I think its the right side but still dont know?I did just have the tran case rebuilt though.But it seems to be the front part.

Is it a constant popping noise or just one pop when you take off from a dead stop? If it is just one sound, does it also pop when you turn your wheel at low speeds forward or backing up and then hitting the brakes?

If so, retorque your upper and lower control arms to spec.

"Popping noise" is a broad description. Can you feel the pop in your feet or hands? When turning left or right? How many times does it pop in a row? Did you pull the diff cover and inspect?
It might be....
-u joints
-track bar mount, or TRE
-shocks
-control arm bushings
-steering TRE's
-loose bolts on suspension

Put the front on jack stands and have a helper turn the steering wheel. Look for play and play in any part especially the track bar. Look at the u joints for play or damage, and look for play in ball joints.

Ben H said:
"Popping noise" is a broad description. Can you feel the pop in your feet or hands? When turning left or right? How many times does it pop in a row? Did you pull the diff cover and inspect?
It might be....
-u joints
-track bar mount, or TRE
-shocks
-control arm bushings
-steering TRE's
-loose bolts on suspension

Put the front on jack stands and have a helper turn the steering wheel. Look for play in the u joints, and look for play in ball joints.
Would all those effect just the way it takes off?

You might be right on the track bar cause I have a 3.5 IN lift on the front just by spacers and my control arms are a little bent.Track bar is somewhat rubbing stering components,but its only when I take off not in a turn .Would that possibly cause it?

If you ran your diff dry then I would pull the cover and inspect for damage first. If that is ok then start checking your steering.

The easiest thing to do is to leave it on the ground and have a buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth. Feel every spot of your steering for any kind of noise, or friction (also look for any bare metal on parts that look like they can come into contact, for isntance your steering stabalizer hitting you trackbar ect).

If you dont find any thing wrong with your steering then move on to checking out your control arms for worn bushings or loose bolts.

Retourqe everything under there.

sw4218 said:
Check the ball joints. There are plenty of threads on how to check them.

Im really illiterate when it comes to really tech stuff,not saying this is but,were are those and what do I look for.Im new to owning a cherokee.Ive only had an 04 TJ, and it was a lemon,I dont know why???:explosion So I decided to go w/ a cherokee(and all my buddies bribed me into it over a couple of Diet sodas:cheers: ).It hads what I needed(drivetrain)hpdana30 and 44 in rear,so thats why im here to uderstand all the good stuff.I can tell you whats wrong w/a motor,I grew up in a race shop.Never really cared for speed but I do like jeepspeed,thats cool.

Ben H said:
If you ran your diff dry then I would pull the cover and inspect for damage first. If that is ok then start checking your steering.

The easiest thing to do is to leave it on the ground and have a buddy turn the steering wheel back and forth. Feel every spot of your steering for any kind of noise, or friction (also look for any bare metal on parts that look like they can come into contact, for isntance your steering stabalizer hitting you trackbar ect).

If you dont find any thing wrong with your steering then move on to checking out your control arms for worn bushings or loose bolts.

Retourqe everything under there.
But like I said Its only when I take off not when Im turning.But I do know for sure if I hit a bump and was truning I wouldnt be able to do much due to the fact its hitting my stering stablizer.And im scared to take off my diff cover(not knowing what to expect).Doesnt make noise when engaged in 4wd though

HogWash said:
But like I said Its only when I take off not when Im turning.But I do know for sure if I hit a bump and was truning I wouldnt be able to do much due to the fact its hitting my stering stablizer.And im scared to take off my diff cover(not knowing what to expect).Doesnt make noise when engaged in 4wd though

Pull your cover!
As far as the popping goes, I am relaying to you my own experience with popping issues that I have fixed on my jeeps.
If you have a stock trackbar with a 3.5" lift that is more than likely the problem.
If you have a stock control amrs with 3.5" lift that is a problem especially with bent control arms.

Put a grease gun to all the grease fittings, might help.

What year is it?

87 cherokee wagoneer all stock except for lift 31x10.5x15,flowmaster ........yada yada yada
Its just 2in in the rear,leafs are blown out ,hoping to do bastard pack next weekend and have some springs the kid4lyf gave me,hoping to get a decent set up going soon this is pissing me off.And check this I have shocks that were for an 8 in lift on there now. And yes they do hit only in the rear cause its blown out.

Last edited:
HogWash said:
Im really illiterate when it comes to really tech stuff,not saying this is but,were are those and what do I look for.Im new to owning a cherokee.Ive only had an 04 TJ, and it was a lemon,I dont know why???:explosion So I decided to go w/ a cherokee(and all my buddies bribed me into it over a couple of Diet sodas:cheers: ).It hads what I needed(drivetrain)hpdana30 and 44 in rear,so thats why im here to uderstand all the good stuff.I can tell you whats wrong w/a motor,I grew up in a race shop.Never really cared for speed but I do like jeepspeed,thats cool.

Quick balljoint check. Jack up front axle on one side, enough to raise the tire a few inches off ground. Get a big lever, such as a 2 x 4 or a piece of pipe, and a fulcrum of some sort, such as a rock or a brick. Arrange this lever so that you can push upward on the tire from beneath. It helps to have a second person here, one to push, one to observe, but you can do it single handed. The ball joints are the pivot points in the axle, on which the steering pivots. Push on the lever, and observe the top ball joint especially. It has a rubber grease seal that is prominently visible. There should be no vertical movement at all in this joint when you push the lever. Usually the top will wear before the bottom, so if the top is good, the bottom probably is too. Nonetheless, observe it too. When the joints get bad enough they'll also move side to side, but you'll usually see a little vertical movement first.

Back