• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension Builders parts, Control Arms

yj4roks

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so I did some searching and found some good info on the lengths, etc for control arms. My question is, where to buy the parts?
I am very new to the XJ thing (notice my screen name has "YJ" in it?).
I have had this XJ for about 2 months or so and have been going through it, getting it up to trail ready. It had some sort of "custom" lift on it made with 2" Rancho springs and 2" spacers, Procomp lower control arms and stock upper arms. The previous owner was running 33x10.50's on those wonderful stock gold honeycomb rims! It worked for him but not for me. I have since replaced the rims and tires with 33x12.50's on steel black rims. Even after installing Rusty's fender flares and cutting out a fair amount of metal at the back of the wells, the tires still hit when turning.
I would like to build some upper and lower control arms to push the axle to be more centered in the wheel well (but not so far to interfer with steering, etc). The problem I am having is, this "FREE" Jeep has set me back 2 grand and the wife has cut me off! LOL....I need to make this cost effective so purchasing $500 of pre-made arms is not going to happen. I am pretty good with a MIG (made almost everything on my YJ including some suspension components running 36's).
I am having problems with finding the right sized bushings! The upper control arms appear to be 2" wide overall and I can only find 2.5" overall bushing assemblies. Also, have others here used square/rectangular tubing for the uppers? Seems like they have to be as to clear frame rails, exhaust, spinning drive shaft, etc.
Any info you can provide regarding:
centering the wheels in the wheel well, and
parts list for UPPER and LOWER control arm construction,
and anything I am missing due to lack of knowledge on these rigs! :dunce:

Thanks!!!

looks like Poly Performance sells bushing kits for that -

http://polyperformance.com/shop/Poly-Performance-Bushing-Kits-p-16605.html

2-5/8" mounting width, with a 9/16" bolt fits the lowers on both ends...

2" mounting width with a 10mm (3/8") bolt fits the uppers...

I use 1.75x.25 round tube for my lowers and 1.5"x.120" round for my upper, but my suspension clearances might be different than yours...

With 4+" of lift you'd probably want to go ahead and switch to a long arm setup. You can tons of great ideas from clayton, rock krawler, and many other companies that have long arm setups. As for square tubing check out claytonoffroad.com his long arm kit uses square tubing and even tells you all the dimensions.

Stock bushings,JKS and Rocklogic both sell the cradles.Foe better flex just buy RE Super-flex joints.

Thanks guys! I will probably start with a short arm for now...only due to time constraints. I need to get this thing "trail ready" for a week long trip to Colorado in July...sounds far off but you guys with young kids know how weekends turn out most of the time (5 minutes of welding...4 hours of kid stuff). When we get back I will probably take a closer look at a long arm set up...if you saw my YJ, you would know I can't leave well enough alone...or just ask my wife! LOL.

This will be very helpfull. Now...I just have to find a way to sneak on the web here at work during biz hours without getting caught! LOL.

Dont go with poly,it doesnt flex and is extremely noisy.

Back