• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! Trying to slide transmission back...

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
96 4.0 AW4...got the 2 torx head bolts out of the top after about 3 hours- got the two side bolts out, replaced them with 8" long ones, I'm trying to slide the tranny back to get to the flexplate. I've got it back about 3/4" on the sides, top doesn't look like it's moving. I'm prying, wiggling...what's the trick?
-exhaust is disconnected, driveshafts out, etc.

Remove the starter and there are two small bolts that go from the front through the dust shield and into the bellhousing.

check the sides of the mud shield from the front. There are a total of 6 from the rear plus one for the starter IIRC and 2 small from the front and 1 from from the front of the starter.

Yeah, check for the screw that goes in from the front on the passenger side. That one hung me up for a while, because it looked like it just held the vent tube. Definitely unbolt the t/c and pull it with the tranny so you don't damage it. Also make sure and turn the t/c until its fully seated into the tranny before putting it back up. Bolting the tranny up without making sure it's fully seated can destroy the front pump in the tranny.

Back