• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header Swap Write Up

53guy

NAXJA Forum User
Well, for this write up, I think it might be a good idea to address a few issues with headers....
1. You're likely to crack yours if it's cheaply made, so I wouldn't suggest skimping on the price
2. You're likely to crack it anyways, so make sure it's got a warranty
3. Exhausts that do not have sufficent support, ie. worn out hangars/few hangars/no hangars.....will lead to a cracked header
4. Your stock exhaust manifold blows, so replace it!

So now that thats out of the way, I purchased a Doug Thorley header a few years back and decided to go cheap and just get the chromed steel one. Well, that lasted a while, but with constant heating and cooling of the header, it eventually cracked at the collector. Got it replaced by the warranty and the warrantied one cracked about 6 months later. So I call Jardiene (the company who sells Doug Thorley products) and they informed me that they have stopped making the chromed steel ones because of so many cracked header issues and they only sell the ceramic style now. Now that the header came in, I figure it might be a good time to spread the wealth of knowledge and show how easy it is to do this swap. So here it goes.

Tools you will need:

3/8-24 die
3/8-16 tap
can of compressed air or an air compressor that has an air nozzel adapter
Fuel line quick disconnect wrench
9/16 stubby wrench
9/16 standard wrench
9/16 dogbone
14mm wrench
13mm wrench
ratchet of whatever drive your sockets are
9/16 socket
15mm socket
tools to remove air box (I didn't have one)
flat head screw driver
tools to remove the exhaust from the collector
whatever else you run into because I can't remember anything else....

Well, you're probably thinking this is a crazy hard swap and you can't do it.....NOT SO! All you have to do is remove the left side of the engine, remove the exhaust manifold, install header and reinstall the left side of the engine! Super easy! Well, honestly, here's what we have to do...

1. The first step is to lay out all the parts that you have. Make sure you have them all and they are for the right motor and the right year. It would not be so fun to be halfway through and need to get parts and not have a vehicle. So, in preperation, you might consider this.....buy new bolts, new washers, and new nuts so that you can replace the rusted ones or any you break. Get a tap and die to clean the threads of the studs and chase the threads on the head and block and intake manifold. Get a new intake/exhaust gasket. Its one peice and will save you from future leaks. Get the right sized doughnut coupling for the collector so that you wont have leaks there. Get thread lock and a torque stripe material. So now that you have everything you need, go find your tools and your FSM and lets get started.

standard

standard

standard

2. The next step is going to be removing all electrical connectors from the fuel rail and the various sensors on the drivers side of the engine as well as the throttle and tranny cables (and speed control cable if you're equiped) from the throttle body. When you do this, if you're unsure if you will remember where they all go, lable them by using masking tape on both sides of the connectors and labling them so you remember where they go. Since I know my way around this motor, I don't do that. Its pretty easy to remember where they go by how the wires natually sit, but if you're not positive, its good to make sure they're labled now. It also doesn't hurt to take a picture of the motor so you have a visual reference of how things go. Remember to remove them all off the fuel rail, the throttle body, the O2 sensor, the knock sensor (if you have one), the sensor on the bell housing, and the thermostat. That should be it for electrical stuff. Throw all the wires to the other side of the motor. Remove the bracket that holds the trottle body cables and set that aside as well.

standard

standard

3. The next step is to go ahead and remove the intake that you have as well as the heat shield or air box so that you have room to place the power steering pump and some elbow room. I thought you could get by the first time I did it and found out that it helps out so much and only takes a few minutes more.

standard

4. Remove the vaccume lines from the intake manifold and be careful not to crack them. Also remove the hose from the break booster and the valve cover vents. The brake booster line is helpful in keeping all the lines out of the way.

5. Next is to remove the fuel lines from the fuel rail. Your exact set up will change depending on what year your jeep is. This is a 1999 motor, so there is only one fuel line and it is the supply line. Disconnecting the line from the rail will require a fuel line disconnect wrench and a bit of talent. Remember to bleed the pressure out of the lines before you disconnect them or you might end up with a gasoline shower. On newer rails, this is done by the shrader valve between the number two and three injectors. A flat head screw driver on the valve will do this pretty quick. Make sure you put a rag over the valve when you do this so you don't get gas in your eyes.

Now that everything is off of the maifolds, it should look similar to this
standard

6. Next is to remove the power steering pump and the bracket assoicated with it and the idler pully. Loosen the drive belt and remove it from the pump. Loosen the bolts from behind the power steering pump pully that secure it to the intake manifold. Remove these bolts as well as the bolts for the support bracket. Once all the bolts are removed, place the pump and bracket where the stock air box would normally go, so its out of the way and you don't have to disconnect it.

standard

standard

standard

7. Now you should have all electrical harnesses removed, all vaccume lines removed, the air box and intake plumbing removed, the power steering pump to the side and we're ready to start unbolting the intake mainfold. There are 9 bolts and two studs to remove. Be careful when you remove them so as you don't snap any bolts or strip the heads off of any of them as they are in super tight spots to get to. Once all the bolts are out and the nuts are off, carefully remove the intake from on top of the exhaust manifold and set it out of the way. Remove the exhaust manifold and view your cracked and nasty exhaust peices.

standard

standard

standard

standard

8. This next step is probably the most important step as if you don't do it, you probably won't have the right torques on the bolts and you'll be prone to leaking from the gasket. Take your tap and chase all the bolt holes to clean all the rust, corrosion, and previous amounts of thread lock. Blow them clean to get all the stuff out. Also clean the threads on the studs by using a die. While you have the intake off, its a good idea to chase the threads for the power steering pump. Do it also for the bracket mount holes. Once all the holes are cleaned out, clean the two mating surfaces for the intake and exhaust and on the head as well.

standard

standard

9. If you're not so sure how your motor is running, now is a great time to check the valves and such. I'm running lean and I've got some blow by issues it appears.....
standard

standard

10. Once you've gotten everything cleaned out and cleaned off, go ahead and swap the dish washers over to the new bolts if you've gotten new stuff. As you can see, they needed changing.

standard

standard

11. Begin to reinstall by placing the gasket on the studs and alignment dowels. Once this is on, place the header onto the studs and install the top center bolt. Run everything down only hand tight for now.

MAKE SURE TO USE THREAD LOCK​
standard

standard

12. Place the intake manifold onto the alignment dowels and run the rest of the bolts in finger tight. Make sure that everything is flush with the head and that all the bolts are in.

standard

13. Once all the bolts are in hand tight, begin to torque them down following the pattern outlined in the FSM or the Haynes or whatever you have. If you don't have one, torque in an outward spiral pattern starting in the center, aft, bottom bolt.

standard

14. Now that they are all torqued, reinstall the power steering pump and bracket. Make sure to use thread lock. Once its reinstalled, slip the belt on and adjust it.

standard

15. Once that is done, reinstall the electrical harness making sure to remember them all.

16. Connect the vaccume lines and the fuel line.

17. Reinstall the air box and intake plumbing. Tighten the exhaust to the collector using the new doughnut.

18. Double check everything and make sure that you covered all your bases and that everything is connected, hooked up, and torqued.

19. You should be about done now and your motor should look like this or similar.
standard

20. Check to see if your battery is connected (should have mentioned that earlier, oh well) and turn your key to the on position to let the fuel pressure build up. After about 10 seconds, start your motor and check for any leaks in fuel and before your motor and exhaust gets hot, feel around for any exhaust leaks. Check around the collector and around the top and bottome of the gasket. If you are sure everything is operating correctly, go ahead and torque stripe the bolts and washers to give you a visual indication incase your bolts work loose.

standard

This is about it for the install. You're done and now you can go have a long chug of your favorite bevereages, a dip in the pool, or hell, even a test drive to feel the new found life your jeep now has. Here are some comparison photos of the new and the old cracked header.

standard

Hope this write up gives everyone a warm fuzzy on doing their own swaps. It took me about 3 hours to do it all with the help of my wife, so its a pretty quick job and definately helps. The noises in my jeep have gone down a considerable amount to where I can only hear my tires now. Its pretty amazing. Anyways, for all those who have already done this swap, feel free to post up any tools you think could have worked better or maybe even the numerous tools I forgot to mention in the swap. Well, I'm starting to slur my words a bit and the cats are all passed out on the desk, so I guess its time to turn in. Night ladies and gents.

Nick

Thanks for another great write-up! I actually paid to have mine swapped about two years ago, but I'll be doing it myself next time it needs it. I'm sure this thread will come in handy!

Gil BullyKatz said:
nice write-up...

Interested in selling the old cracked header?

Seriously...

No, I have to send it back to Thorley to get my money back. They charged me a $50 bucks upgrade fee, but seeing how much more expensive the ceramic one was (like $200 more than the chrome steel one) I got a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, they charged me the full prie for the ceramic one until they get the old one back, so no, I can't sell it or I definately would.

I also forgot to mention....Adjust the kick down for your transmission at the throttle body when you re install the cables.

nice write-up, now i wish i could find the time to take mine out of the box and put it on...:eek:

Nice write up. It really does sound straightforward. "Remove left side of engine, repalce header, install left side of engine."

Just waiting until I absolutely have to do mine. Still not sure if it's cracked or leaking at the head. I have a couple spare stock versions since finding aftermarket ones for a Renix (that I am willing to pay $$$ for) is not easy.

Now I know who to call when I do mine :D

BTW, was that Liz pitching in under the hood (top pic after #8)?

Yeah, that was her. She protested me putting any other pictures in the write up because she said her hair looked bad. Whatever =) So all the arms and legs you see are her's. I think Pacesetter makes a header for that renix you have, but don't quote me on it. Hell, if you want the one off the rolled 87, its yours, just go pull it off (out in Goochland). Anyhow, yeah, I'll give ya a hand any time with the swap. Its really pretty easy, it just takes a few hours and you've got a quiet motor. I almost gurauntee your lead is from the exhaust manifold though.

53guy said:
Yeah, that was her. She protested me putting any other pictures in the write up because she said her hair looked bad. Whatever =) So all the arms and legs you see are her's.

That clears up a lot - I was surprised at how dainty you appeared given your web persona.

:D

Good write up!

Root Moose said:
That clears up a lot - I was surprised at how dainty you appeared given your web persona.

:D

Good write up!

Lol, well, the lock tite picture is my hands, but the others are her. Thanks for the compliments!

I think so. Much quieter, a bit peppier, runs better. I think any exhaust leak isn't good for your motor, but especially one that is forward of the first O2 sensor. It's fixed a few problems that I thought I had, especially valve noises, I could hear them through the old crack, but now, the motor is very quiet, so I'm hoping that they aren't messed up and I just can't hear it. Soo, yeah, I think it helps performace by a noticable amount.

Hey 53guy - I'm just a bit south of you in da 'burg. Two Q's- where did you find the best price on your header (or is it a direct buy only?); and, can I tempt you with steaks and beers to bring your expertise south for assistance? I've got most of of the gear you mention in your (most excellent) write up in the garage - and also have pretty good access to a friend's completely equipped off-road shop (they do complete work from mild to wild). Even if I can't tempt you, if interested, let's think wheelin', (Crozet open weekend the next month or two?)

non-stick said:
Nice write up. It really does sound straightforward. "Remove left side of engine, repalce header, install left side of engine."
It really is. I just welded my cracked header today and I was expecting it to take much longer. I had everything done in about two hours (taking my time). If it cracks again, which I don't doubt it will, I'll replace it with something like this, but maybe something with less chrome. :cool:

Back