• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift is on the way

dorsalfin

NAXJA Forum User
Well I finally orderd a lift for the 00XJ. I am going with the rough country 1.5 lift that includes spacers and shackles, along with 4 shocks. In prep for this lift I went this past weekend and got some PB spray and began to hose down the rear shackle bolts. I have a set of spring compressors, a cheat bar for those pesky bolts, and will have a 12pk of bud heavy for post install.

My questions.

- - - Is there anything else I should have for this task? - - -

- - - Alignment will be done post lift - - -

- - - Do I need to worry about the trac bar on such a small lift? - - -

- - - Anything to have on hand to deal with vibes? - - -

- - - If worse comes to worse, what am I looking at cost wise for a Hack and Tap + driveshaft + install costs? - - -

This forum has been very helpful in researching the options and methods regarding lifts on cherokees. I want to go ahead and thank those who might answer some of my questions.

It seems like you have it covered. i wouldnt worry about track bar as i ran 2" BB w/ no probs for awhile. Wouldnt worry about sye either your angle swill still be fine.

dorsalfin said:
Well I finally orderd a lift for the 00XJ. I am going with the rough country 1.5 lift that includes spacers and shackles, along with 4 shocks. In prep for this lift I went this past weekend and got some PB spray and began to hose down the rear shackle bolts. I have a set of spring compressors, a cheat bar for those pesky bolts, and will have a 12pk of bud heavy for post install.

My questions.

- - - Is there anything else I should have for this task? - - -

- - - Alignment will be done post lift - - -

- - - Do I need to worry about the trac bar on such a small lift? - - -

- - - Anything to have on hand to deal with vibes? - - -

- - - If worse comes to worse, what am I looking at cost wise for a Hack and Tap + driveshaft + install costs? - - -

This forum has been very helpful in researching the options and methods regarding lifts on cherokees. I want to go ahead and thank those who might answer some of my questions.

Do you have a sawzall? You MAY need it on the rear shackles. I couldn't get my upper shackle bolts out on my 01 because they were seized to the bolt. This is very common on xj's. It requires cutting the bolt on both sides of the shackle and then unscrewing it with a pipe wrench. Hopefully you don't have this issue.

As for the sye, here's a tip: Talk with http://www.daveysjeeps.com/ and ask for a 00-01 xj front driveshaft. They run about $50-$60. You can check your junk yard too. Then check out www.porc.com cuz they have a HD SYE KIT for $178 (last time i checked). That's the cheapest sye setup you can possibly get, other than the hack n tap. You probably won't need it though. I lifted mine 2" and got major vibes so.......wait and see.

Good luck!

- - - Is there anything else I should have for this task? - - - Prepare to break rear upper shock mount bolts. Just punch out the weld nut and fish a new bolt down in to the hole. DO cut your floor up like some suggest.

- - - Alignment will be done post lift - - - hmmm, do a driveway check first with a tape measure, you may not even need one.

- - - Do I need to worry about the trac bar on such a small lift? - - - NO

- - - Anything to have on hand to deal with vibes? - - - Cross you fingers! You have a TC drop and/or shims as your first options before a sye. I would hope with that small of a lift the sye will not be needed.

Good Luck.

I thought of one more thing. You should have bought a bigger lift. You will get a very badcase of inchitus with a 1.5" lift. I got a 3".......6 months later and after a few wheeling trips......I should have got the 4.5"er.

Last edited:
Turfzilla said:
- - - Is there anything else I should have for this task? - - - Prepare to break rear upper shock mount bolts. Just punch out the weld nut and fish a new bolt down in to the hole. DO cut your floor up like some suggest.

- - - Alignment will be done post lift - - - hmmm, do a driveway check first with a tape measure, you may not even need one.

- - - Do I need to worry about the trac bar on such a small lift? - - - NO

- - - Anything to have on hand to deal with vibes? - - - Cross you fingers! You have a TC drop and/or shims as your first options before a sye. I would hope with that small of a lift the sye will not be needed.

Good Luck.

I agree about the shock bolts. They snap like pretzels. I was prepared to deal with it too cuz mine were rusted beyond recognition but my impact gun got em out in piece, luckily. If you got an impact, use it. Don't just unscrew em on the first try. You gotta loosen 1/8 turn, tighten, loosen 1/4 turn, tighten, and so on until they come out.

Back