• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just Purchased 1991 Cherokee

tmmoll

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone please help me with this jeep?

I just bought this 91 Cherokee for $1700. It has supposidly a 6.5" lift on it. Its running 35" mud king tires. Anyway I dont know much about lifted vehicals. Sorry I cant get pics to attach.

My question is with the steering. I drove it on the interstate at about 55-60mph (at least thats what the speedometer said). It drove pretty good except when I floored it to stay with traffic, it wouldnt go over 60mph. The steering seems loose and I would like to tighten it up somehow. Is that possible? Also can someone help me with how to regearing. Do I have to do it in the front and rear axles? I would like to keep 35" so what gears do I have to use? I have Dana 35 in rear and Dana 30 up front. This will be my daily driver.

Lastly when I turn the key to the on possition I here a noise coming from the rear of the jeep. The noise stays until I turn off the jeep. Could that be the fuel pump? Is it still ok or should I replace it.

Any help would be great.

Last edited:
A 91 is probably ready for all new tie rod ends, not nearly as hard as it sounds. Check the track bar while you're at it.

Yes, you'd need to regear both axles, I run 456s w/my 35s, but 488s would be better. You can check what you have, first. Put it on jackstands, put it in neutral, and turn the driveshaft by hand. Count how many turns the ds spins to turn the wheels once.

When you regear, ditch the D35. Look for a D44, or a Ford 8.8 w/ discs.

And yes, the noise is your fuel pump. Mine's noisy too, has been since I put it in new. Drives me nuts, and I don't think it's a good sign, but it keeps on running.

A lot of this is pretty common info. Check out the FAQ, and search through the TONS of info on the site...

Robert

My 87 Fuel pump is noisy too.

Quieter with a full tank....

Just run that pump until it dies, than replace it. The good news is, you don't need to drop the tank to change it. Just be sure the tank is dry or nearly dry, or you'll get a face of gas....

Thanks for the info guys and gals. Its places like this that keep do-it-yourselfers still alive.

The guy I bought it from jued it just for off roading. I noticed that it has 4.5 springs in the front with 2in spacers and add-a-leafs in the back with blocks and shakles. I look in the front and saw the lower control arms were replaced but the uppers were still stock. Should I replace them with adjustable arms or is the stock ok? How about the loose steering any way to tighten it up, or should I replace the steering box?

tmmoll said:
add-a-leafs in the back with blocks and shakles...

This is what you should probably fiddle with first. Most AAL's ride rough until they sag, and the blocks are nothing but trouble. Save up for a decent full leaf pack.

As for the steering, I should have been clearer: The tierod ends should help with this. Put the front end on jackstands, and wiggle all the steering components. Anything with play in it should be replaced.

I'd only look at the box if you can rock the steering wheel without the pitman arm moving.

Aftermarket uppers are going to be stronger than your stock ones, but not really needed unless you really plan to beat it hard...

Robert

Back