• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing... For deep rocks, 5 speed...

XJ_ranger

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
OK,
4.0, ax-15, 231...
so HP44 and LP9 are set up with 5.13's and that just flat isnt cutting it...

3.8:1 first in the ax-15...

I need to be about twice as low... but 5.13's and 33's is pushing about 3250 rpm in 5th at 75mph - and i Daily drive it... so i cant go lower in the diffs...

Im looking at -
Atlas 4.3, STaK 4.33, Atlas 5:1, STaK 5.44:1, Atlas 6:1, STaK 3 speed with 5.44:1 low, Dana300 Flipped-4:1-32Spline outputs -

all the two speeds are about the same price... right around 2 grand...
I dont like the Dana300 because after dumping about 1500 into it, its still a 20 year old casting with no warenty...
I dont really think id need a 3 speed, because I can just shift into a higher gear in the tranny... hell ive still got 5 of them...

I found this weekend at Stoddard that i was feathering the clutch and all way too much, and really didnt have the control that I wanted in low range with the 231...

and no - swap in an AW4 is not an option...
unless its from a 96TJ...:D

so from all the PaulS, Jes, BryanC, Letterman, CRASH, and otherwise hardcore manual deep rocks running with manual trannys guys -
what is working for you? would you like to be lower? higher?

discuss.... :D

Rubi 241.

For added bling, do one of the "Box4Rox" set ups to keep your 231 front half in front of the 241.

Choices of 2.72, 4.1 or 2.72*4.1. Sounds fun!

Start saving up for a 60 or 9" to replace the 44.

:D

Root Moose said:
Rubi 241.
nope - not a fan... about 1500 for a teralow 4:1... not my style :D
Root Moose said:
For added bling, do one of the "Box4Rox" set ups to keep your 231 front half in front of the 241.

Choices of 2.72, 4.1 or 2.72*4.1. Sounds fun!
uh... im not a big fan of that - Id planned on that, then thought about the loading of all that and how much force would be put on the remaining chunk of the 231 and decided that i didnt want all that loading on a piece of 3/16" aluminum...
also - when would I use 10:1?
is that something I should look into - yota guys have something like 15:1 reduction across many t-cases...
Start saving up for a 30 to replace the 44 and a 44 to replace the 9

fixed! :D :D

as long as you have intermediate ranges, you really can't go too low and are only limited by cost and packaging. around 100:1 with a 4.0 and 35-40 inch tires and JV terrain seems to be good for most.

the real question is how much are you willing to spend?

the simplest, but likely most expensive option would be an Atlas 6.0 (116:1). the cheaper options that I would still consider are a 231 reduction box to a D300 w/ 32 spline outputs (139:1) or a 4:1 np231 (78:1)

or what I ended up doing when facing this same problem, swap an AW4 :illegalflipoffsmiley: I actually made money on the swap.

Opie, you were in my rig on Old Sluice. What did you think? I run about 97:1 with my Atlas. Works great for me and the trails I like to run. I can idle over most obstacles and start on steep climbs without fear of stalling. I wouldn't go any lower based on the fact that the 5:1 is almost too low for anything other than rocks. I run a NV 3550 with a 4:.02 first gear, Atlas II with 5:1 and 4:88s in my axles. Oh, and I run 33" tires too.

Last edited:
XJ_ranger said:
nope - not a fan... about 1500 for a teralow 4:1... not my style :D

uh... im not a big fan of that - Id planned on that, then thought about the loading of all that and how much force would be put on the remaining chunk of the 231 and decided that i didnt want all that loading on a piece of 3/16" aluminum...
also - when would I use 10:1?
is that something I should look into - yota guys have something like 15:1 reduction across many t-cases...

fixed! :D :D

Couple of points just for the sake of being argumentative. :)

You don't like the TerLow or you don't like the Rubi 241? The 241 has a strong case - it has to in order to be rated for 5k+ lb-ft of torque.

I can see where you are coming from wrt the loading on the 231 case - I guess. Go retro and use a 203 case. :D

I'm not a fan of the Dana 300 bling case mentioned, especially if you have to go ahead and buy new gears, rebuild kit, stronger shafts, whatever. Might as well buy a Stak/Atlas by the time you are done. I'd consider it for the wheeling around here since we don't need more than 4:1 and it is a much more "elegant" way of doing driver's drop. For the stuff you crazy lads in the SW do, go with something purpose built like the Atlas or the Stak. :D

FWIW, I like the idea of multiple choices in the low range. Use a normal range for "normal" wheeling and put it in compound if/when you need to. I'd go that route myself but for around here and the type of wheeling I'm interested in doing I can't even justify 4:1 yet. :)

offroadman83 said:
Here is your answer=======throw in gears of choice and go. --------------Kyle

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503209

thanks! but looking at it - I still need to spend 1700 or so $$$ and end up with many different parts from many different companies, and still have to assemble it myself - which likely means no solid warranty.

IntrepidXJ said:
call for some prices, and you will find out it can be had for around $700ish

still has a chain, still has planataries, still has only 1 shifter, is bigger and heavier... hmmm

I am sick of doing things 'on the cheap' and dealing with used parts that other people have beaten up...

Bryan C. said:
Opie, you were in my rig on Old Sluice. What did you think? I run about 97:1 with my Atlas. Works great for me and the trails I like to run. I can idle over most obstacles and start on steep climbs without fear of stalling. I wouldn't go any lower based on the fact that the 5:1 is almost too low for anything other than rocks. I run a NV 3550 with a 4:.02 first gear, Atlas II with 5:1 and 4:88s in my axles. Oh, and I run 33" tires too.

yeah - i liked the way yours was handling out there.

maybe I could drive your rig at some point? just to get a feel for the handling?

IntrepidXJ said:
i wasn;t suggesting it was a good option for you.....just the proper pricing info

oh.

ok - thanks Randy!

I'm running a 5:1 Atlas behind an AX15 with 5.13s in the axles. That gives me about 98:1 and I have been really happy with it. The times that I wish it were lower are very rare.

XJ_ranger said:
I am sick of doing things 'on the cheap' and dealing with used parts that other people have beaten up...

Well there you go, you've decided: Stak or Atlas.

I ran a 4 to 1, then a 4.3 Atlas, now a 5.0 Atlas.
The 5.0 is good 100% of the time. I run 90% of the time in 2nd (Hammers), but it's nice to have that extra low first when I really need it.

Paul

I was at 83 to 1 and wanted lower.

Now I'm at 132 to 1, and backing in and out of the garage is almost effortless..........

Back